Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Burma Road by CX?
  • nstpaul

Hello all,
    Could anybody tell me if the Burma Road by Aviemore would be suitable for riding on a CX bike?
    Also in the same vein, how suitable would a lightly bikepacked CX bike be for the Affric Kintail Way as shown on the WalkHighlands website and onwards to Kyle or Plockton to catch train back over to east coast?
    I do have a full suspension bike but for the Affric Kintail way I think I would possibly be overbiked for the amount of fire roads / road riding involved.
    Thanks

iainc

The Burma road climb would be tough without a mtb low ratio, but surface ok. The only section where the surface would be really challenging would be the section down the river side towards Sluggan Bridge. Rest is close in surface to poor land rover track. Doable but more fun on a HT.

bri-72

It’s a granny:1 climb on an MTB in places IMO. As said above mainly decent Landy track

Kunstler

I’ve never ridden a CX but did Burma Road recently on a hardtail. I found it quite a good climb with a fairly constant gradient – easily rideable. Conditions were very dry so I went up the corbet at the top. It gives greater views and isn’t that much extra effort.

If you follow the route that I did and finish with the High Burnside trails you would be glad of a big bike. You’d also be glad of way more skills and courage than I possess. A terrifying end to a mellow ride.

somafunk

I did it on my Tripster (nearly a cx bike) back in early april and it was a belter of a run – I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t do it on a cx bike but admittingly i do have a 28×36 lowest gear and was running clement xplor mso 40mm tyres – it’s a long drag up the hill, looooooong drag but that just gives you time to stop every so often and admire the views behind you – who’d have thought it was T-Shirt weather high up (relatively) in the Cairngorms in April?.

Corbett kunstler mentions behind bike, decent path up, better fun on way back down.

Descent down other side – it’s very easy to get a bit squirrely descending this at speed on narrow tyres as the surface is rutted/loose in sections – i had a few Arghhhh….****! moments.

Looking back up the descent

After that it runs through grassy pasture/flood plain then into a nice woodsy section.

I’d quite happily choose to use my Tripster rather than my Cove Hummer

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great pics Somafunk. The ride over the top to the Dulnain is on my to do list. We usually turn back down the singletrack at the top.

antigee

somafunk – Member
    I did it on my Tripster (nearly a cx bike) back in early april and it was a belter of a run….

as said great pic’s thanks need to work that into a trip

scruff9252

Seem to remember doing that as a kid on my “mountain bike”. I was riding 1.9″ smoke lites (in grey iirc), non compact chainset and obviously fully rigid.

Would prob be classed as a flat bar gravel bike these days… So I would say its possible.

somafunk

The singletrack from the top back down behind Creag Ghleannin to Ballinluig is a cracking 3 mile descent, especially if you combine it with the climb up Geal Carn (corbett) beforehand, I’ve done it a few times as it’s less dependant on good weather/nae wind but after the effort of climbing all the way to the top i usually find myself committing to the Burma route, there’s something about the scenery heading through the valley floor that just brings a smile to my face. I’m back up that way for a week in September so i hope the weather is decent as i’ve planned a few big days out with overnighters nights (hopefully).

few more pics of the burma road route

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I know the folks at Kinrara that erected the memorial to the keeper. Possibly the funniest comedy duo in aristo land.

When Robin passed over the grouse moor to his nephew to avoid death duties, he promptly sold it, much to his eternal dismay. His nephew didn’t tell him of the sale, one of the keepers was the first to tell him. He described himself as being the most disappointed man this side of Suez.

He buys a lottery ticket every week in the hope of buying it back.

somafunk

Poor guy 🙁 , How could anyone sell such an area just for profit/money, i bet his nephew is firmly struck off the xmas card list these days. I’ve often hid behind the polson monument to eat cake & drink whisky/muster up the courage/stupidity to carry on when it’s been blowing a hoolie on the top.

Tiz a weird thing bout some families but i know a few of the so called aristo’s that own vast areas of Galloway and they’re all slightly mad/obscure eccentrics (but in a very good way) – my life is enriched for knowing them that’s for sure 😀 They’re usually dressed like vagrants (but finest handmade tweed that’s seen better days) with old orange twine for a belt but still dressed in wellies.

nstpaul

Thanks for the info guys, and some cracking photos there too:)

I think I’ll give it a shot, I’m not too proud to get off and push if required!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yep, suitably dull route, perfect for CX.

duckman

Sheesh,you are a fridge half empty guy aren’t you?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😀

Nice views, but otherwise not the best IMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Burma Road by CX?’ is closed to new replies.