Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Burly short travel full sus options please
  • swisstony
    Free Member

After riding my burly prophet (lyriks, 2.5's etc etc) for the summer i built up a 456 SS for winter but i'm a bit worried my hardtail days are numbered.

I fancy a winter full sus but am struggling to fill my niche! I want something like my old Spec SX supercross which i really liked but the bb was too low for the peaks. So 100mm out the back and can take the pikes up front and 2.5 tyres and not snap. The Commencal Super 4 looks pretty good but i'm the brand as my mate is on his 4th 5.5.

Anything else, happy for something a little older as amount of cash means s/h only.

ta

jemima
    Free Member

hhmmm. Burly and 4" travel is a niche not really filled yet I think.
    Any that exist will be very 'four-crossy' and will probably be very tough to ride up hill (short and low and steep angles). The Morewood Ndiza looks nice tho.

If you increase your travel spec up to 5" then I can wholeheartedly recommend the Orange Blood. Its ace! The transition BottleRocket looks similar but again 5.5" travel.

I'm with you on the Commonfails…

guitarhero
    Free Member

you need a Santa Cruz Blur 4X

coogan
    Free Member

Why can't you just use the Prophet? I don't get this 'winter' bike garbage at all.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

old skool Giant trance and pikes for the win

glenh
    Free Member

Meta 4X.
    Mines pretty ace and it's way tougher than the 5/5.5/standard 4.

tthew

Sounds like it may be out of your price range, but isn't that the Orange ST4 remit?

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks folks some good suggestions there but I can only dream about most of them, i'll check out the trance.

any older gems?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

tony – the pikes you bought off me came off my trance, 70mm stem, 819s and bonty big earls, wide bars – it rocked!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

akira

These are pretty fun, mate has one and very entertaining for a fun little bike, some good deals around on 2008/2009 ones and the 2010 look very nice as well.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks Rob, i'm checking ebay now for trance bargains,

akira, yep they look fun

PJM1974
    Free Member

Marin Quad 140… It's stiff and an absolute blast.

Quite fancy having a go on a Trance though, they'll take Pikes without any problem according to the bloke at my LBS. He should know, he's done it.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Spend the money maintaining and making the Prophet more awesome.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I've got a 2007 trance with 130 revelations up front and it seems like it can handle its self – guess you never know till it cracks.

I bought it as a complete from pauls cycles and just changed all the parts for my hardtail ones.

shame about the gold – http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p1290&tbv=GIANT_TRANCE_2_BIKES_Mountain_Bikes_-_Full_Suspension

mine: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3521305/

size small and saddle lowered for 4x action. (flies down redhill 4x track)

spec: 07 trance 3 frame 08 RS revelations dual air, 130mm Mavic XM719 on hope pro II wheels covered with high roller tyres, Hope M4 brakes, xt front mech, SRAM x7 rear mech, X7 shifters, ea70 bars, wellgo mg1 ti pedals, crappy truativ cranks, charge spoon saddle. 29lbs maybe?

nonk
    Free Member

what about that xcish nicolai?

Swalsey
    Free Member

Not sure of the travel of Pikes on it, but consider the Orange ST4?

pegglet
    Free Member

As jemima says,the ndiza is awesome fun.bought mine last year ,def burly, and even lightish (30lb) occasionally think of selling on to fund new toy,then another ride in the woods and i just cant let it go.! seems to run on pure neglect with bearings still solid and smooth (all mates on vpp etc replacing bearings left ,right,centre). did a 5hr slog couple of weeks ago. over grinton, gunnerside etc, single ring and loved it. honks up climbs like a roadbike, scalectrix on the way down…(mind you i,d poss swop for intense ss and live with the bearing issues, lol…)

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

How much would you sell for if you did pegglet. Quick google search and it looks good fun. 30lb build? What parts on there? What forks do you use?
    Does it really ride up hill well? I mean I've ridden a 40lb marin quake around most of the big trail centres in the UK but my trance is much easier.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Gotta be a Tazer! Could always fit an older Vanilla rear shock for extra burliness.

No 1 . . .

and it's successor . . .

. .. which incidentally weighs a ton 🙄 . I'm seriously thinking of ditching the forks, going 100mm up front and dropping the rear travel for even more 'pop' – may singlespeed it too.

pegglet
    Free Member

Dirtbiker100. yes it does fly the ups. i,m an "out of the saddle" type of climber so couldnt go with any of that bobbling about type of shock,guess its all stable due to been "only" 4" trav.shocks been pushed so no lockout either and dont use propedal thingy ,parts are reletively basic pikes,hope 5.1 hoops dmr motos,(good fun in the mud!) frame weighs 7lb 5oz exact with rp23 and a couple of ti pivot bolts tossed in. havnt thought of a sell price yet,just waiting for a new toy to appear to tempt me to let it go.(And i know i,d regret it) but one funds another….tazer (as above,the older mod) was another fave but the toptube wasa tad short i think for any longer rides over t'dales etc.. (i,ll keep you in mind for future ref .k.)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Burly short travel full sus options please’ is closed to new replies.