Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Burka Ban – at what cost to cyclists!
  • OrangeEvo
    Free Member

The current law which could soon become passed in France/Belgium is not specifically against religious veils but instead it says the ban applies to “clothing that hides someone's identity in public places such as parks, buildings and on the street”

That means that cycling in the winter is going to be that much more uncomfortable, so you'd better toughen up for next winter!

Get ready to throw out those expensive headware items from the likes of Assos, Cannondale and Giordana!

cookeaa

It's OK I'm cyclist not a Ninja, I'd never have bought one of those, steam your glasses up wouldn't it…

As for the Belgian Burka ban, sorry “clothing that conceals the wearer’s identity” it’s the start of a slippery slope I reckon… But then I’m feeling a bit left of centre today, by tomorrow I’ll probably be back on familiar “hang em’ Flog em” ground…

Talkemada
    Free Member

So, how would they impose that law on motorcyclists?

Re Bhurkas; I live in an area with a large Muslim population. One hazard I've learned to look out for, is women driving all veiled up, with a little eye-slit, which really restricts their peripheral vision. Driving wearing anything that can impair your vision is illegal. Some of these women just cannot see enough in front of them, and are a nightmare. As if it isn't dangerous enough.

As for the cultural side; the increase in the number of Muslim women taking up the veil is in direct correlation to Western Conflicts against Islamic nations. A sort of cultural backlash, a show of defiance and solidarity even. I believe the wearing of the veil will become less popular as future generations of Western Muslims become more culturally integrated. More and more young Muslim girls in this area are also not wearing any sort of headscarf, which shows there is an increased acceptance of Western clothing styles and cultural values.

Personally, I look forward to the day when one can observe skimpily clad Muslim girls on the streets and parks of our Fair Isle, but I fear that day is some way off yet… 8)

Talkemada
    Free Member

Belgian Burka Ban

😮

Is that anything to do with the Big Bike Bash?

scruff
    Free Member

grumm
    Free Member

A sort of cultural backlash, a show of defiance and solidarity even. I believe the wearing of the veil will become less popular as future generations of Western Muslims become more culturally integrated.

But are they becoming more culturally integrated? I can see the rationale behind banning burkas but surely it's just going to encourage more people to wear them in defiance?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Banning them isn't a very good idea, as this will stir up animosity. The French Govt. and Sarkozy seem to be quite fond of this tactic however.

But hopefully, the future will allow Western Muslims to feel more a part of Western culture, and not so alienated. Indeed, the majority of fairly moderate British Muslims have little problem with integrating into our society, and are a valuable members of our culture.

To me, the Burkha represents a barrier (which it is, really). Barriers need to be broken down. But it's better to let the person who put up the barrier, to take it down themselves, than to tear it down forcibly, leaving them feeling exposed.

I think some clarification of Law is needs here though; many a near-miss I've had with veiled drivers.

gnasher
    Free Member

some of the munters I've seen today would benefit society by wearing 1

Olly
    Free Member

Barriers need to be broken down

including barriers between me/you and say…… a very hungry lion with the you/me part being covered in BBQ sauce??

OrangeEvo
    Free Member

It's OK I'm cyclist not a Ninja

Good point, no one ever gives consideration to the impact on Ninja's.

Surely we have a right to respect their cultural identity! :mrgreen:

Nick

Burka Ban – at what cost to cyclists!

none whatsoever, for the same reason as Motorcyclists will continue to wear helmets, cyclist will wear buffs, scarfs and balaclavas when it's cold

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I think there is a difference between cyclists wearing a balaclava and things like the burka. for example you would most likely take it off when not riding, and would have no objection to removing it for a policeman or whatever.

I think banning it is a good idea. Especially when things have got to the point that there was the case of the british airways worker not being allowed to wear a cross on a necklace. I've no objection to religious head scarves, but imo burkas and alike are a step to far in the western world.

meehaja
    Free Member

last time i was in belgium it was really cold. I wore my hood up and had a scarf on, covering the bottom half of my face. Dangerous game banning particular types of clothes…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Burka Ban – at what cost to cyclists!’ is closed to new replies.