Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Burgtec Penthouse Mk4 – V tight bearings from new?
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

As the title suggests, just purchased some Burgtec MK4’s which is great and all that but I noticed when unboxing them that I can barely turn the axle when gripping the thread and turning the pedal body.. Both pedals feel smooth but incredibly tight. I know this will be less so when they will be fitted on the bike with the extra leverage and forces acting on them but is it a trait with these pedals? WAY tighter than any other pedal I’ve bought in the last 20 years from new so thought id ask. Some STW Mk4 pedal owners out there?

riklegge

Yep, had exactly that.. to the point that the pedal actually un-screwed itself from the crank on my first ride!

I subsequently put them on a bit tighter and have had no other issues. Love the pedals.

nickhit3
    Free Member

cool, that’s somewhat reassuring now. Never thought I’d spend this on a pedal before (coming from Saints-which I really liked but found a bit of a weird feel issue arising) but the hype certainly seems justified, they look great. Looking forward to actually riding them.

singlespeedstu

They loosen off after a few rides.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They loosen off slightly, but maintain that level really well. Absolutely fantastic pedals.

honourablegeorge

Just wish they didn’t sit so close to the crank. A long axle kit option like crank bros did for the Mallet E would be a good thing for them

nickhit3
    Free Member

Just wish they didn’t sit so close to the crank. A long axle kit option like crank bros did for the Mallet E would be a good thing for them

Yeah I’m curious about this too. I don’t have huge feet (size 9 Specialized 2F0) but I buy the idea of the pedal being closer to the crank for a stiffer platform (armchair engineer alert) and a narrower profile. Should be a world away from the Saints… for the £££ i hope so! cheers for the answers guys much appreciated. Ps: does anyone know where the term ‘Q factor’ comes from? its mentioned in pedal reviews but I’ve never worked out the Q…

honourablegeorge

Mke s some sense, but for me, I like my foot to sit there, it kind of overhangs the pedal body on the inside a bit. think I’d be hottin the crank with my foot a lot if I rode Burgtecs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Burgtec Penthouse Mk4 – V tight bearings from new?’ is closed to new replies.