• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by myti.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Burglary of parents house
  • keppoch

My parents are on holiday and their home in Hertfordshire was burgled at some point in the last few days. The house has been gone over and there are some things missing (stereo but not computer). Their neighbour discovered it today and let my brother (Leeds) and I (Wales) know.

Entry was gained via side passageway (gated and locked) and smashing large rear patio doors.

There are better houses to burgle as they don’t really have the typical electronic stuff many homes would (iPads etc) but the stereo has gone, whilst computer, bikes, car remains. There is one small valuable item of jewelry but that is typically very well hidden.

The neighbour and police have boarded up the patio window so my brother and I are pondering if anything else needs to be done. I suspect there were front door keys (possibly car keys) in the house so if the burglars took any of those they could return before my parents do on Monday.

Any suggestions on what else we could/should do? Going there to stay seems a bit extreme and not easy due to work etc.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Really quickly set up a Alsatian pet boarding business there?

But, serious mode: Might be worth going to check about the car keys? Possibly leave another car in front of theirs so they couldn’t get it out if they wanted to?

Check on the valuable jewellery item and remove?

Have you told them?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

get the locks changed and let your parents know

keppoch

We are trying to make contact with them but it won’t be easy as my father turns his phone on for around 10 minutes a day.

As soon as we get hold of them we can find out (vaguely) what should be there in terms of keys and ask the neighbour to check/remove.

perchypanther
    Free Member

We are trying to make contact with them but it won’t be easy as my father turns his phone on for around 10 minutes a day.

Text?

keppoch

Yes, text message sent it just may be some time before there is a response!

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t wait. Change the locks, immobilise the car, get the patio glass replaced, if only to lessen the shock when they return home. It should cost about £120, their insurance may cover it if they don’t have an excess.

poolman
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this and hope the shock is not too much.

I m amased how many people post holiday pics on social media, if they are a director their home address is posted online.

Usually within 2 mins of checking out whether a potential client is genuine, i can find out where they live, where they work, kids names. I hate being tagged in fb photos but dare not tell the person doing it.

DT78
    Free Member

my insurance covered replacement front and rear door locks (but not car or bike locks).

Get it done quick. Is there a spare key so you can move the car?

stumpy01

How much of their holiday do they have left?

What would be the benefit of telling them? It will probably ruin the rest of their holiday.

I would make good as suggested above & tell them upon their return.

A similar thing happened to my parent’s a few years ago.

They broke in through the kitchen window/door which is down a concealed side entrance.

Technology-wise they live in the dark ages, so their was nothing really worth taking.
    Anything of value was in a safe that is very hard to get to.

The Police said because the house wasn’t chocked full of iPads and stuff, word will get out that it isn’t a house worth burgling and so they probably won’t have any more problems.

kormoran
    Free Member

IME thieves have come back soon after for another go as they know what is there and what may have just been replaced. Try to make it look as much as possible that the house is inhabited again – auto lights etc.

Otherwise all the above

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Sounds obvious but report it to the police? (you probably have already but not said)

plyphon
    Free Member

/Detective mode

This:

There are better houses to burgle as they don’t really have the typical electronic stuff many homes would (iPads etc) but the stereo has gone,

Plus this:

Suggests this:

I’m amased how many people post holiday pics on social media,

Is probably not the case.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What would be the benefit of telling them? It will probably ruin the rest of their holiday.

This x1000

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

My folks home was targeted a few months ago. They pulled the whole kitchen window out and spent a while searching the house. Cops did not much. First time in 50 years they’ve been targeted. They took jewellery sentimental stuff, grandmothers rings and the like. Heartbreaking. I expect they will need to know soon. I’d see if they can move the cars to another location asap.

enfht
    Free Member

Where in herts out of interest?

Hertford and surrounding areas are definitely being targeted by van thieves at the moment but household burglaries are (thankfully) relatively rare.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

sorry to hear that. I would still tell them.

I’m assuming they don’t have an alarm?

keppoch

House is in Ware, PM me if you want full address 😉

A neighbour had already got the police round and done and somehow that included getting the patio door boarded up which seems quite a good service!

The front door lock has been replaced. Getting to anything else requires scaling a locked six foot gate (obviously what they did the first time but limits what can easily be removed).

I’m keen to talk to them to find out if there were other keys lying around as that could mean the car/garage are at risk. From what neighbour has said we know the only major thing that has gone is stereo. The computer and TV remain. Not a great message to get halfway through your holiday but they are pretty resilient people and we have done what we can to secure now. They would be more annoyed if not letting them know meant car had gone.

No one has found out where they are via social media but person who mentioned automatic lights is probably right more could be done on that front.

Thanks for advice all.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Their neighbour discovered it today and let my brother (Leeds) and I (Wales) know.

Odd names for kids, is that where you and your brother were conceived?

Seriously though, I wouldn’t tell the folks, just sort out what you can so it’s all done for them getting back. No point spoiling their holiday and they would only worry.

kormoran
    Free Member

No one has found out where they are via social media but person who mentioned automatic lights is probably right more could be done on that front.

Timer plugs for lamps are cheap as chips in B&Q

enfht
    Free Member

Maybe get one of these

Fake TV light

keppoch

I guess whether to tell them or not depends on family dynamic. In this dynamic I wouldn’t really contemplate not telling them.

Plus information on where keys are/were may be useful in any follow-on.

Roddy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Maybe get one of these

Fake TV light

I love the specifics of this product 🙂

Visual deterrent to intruders/burglars with the illusion that someone is at home watching a 27 inch TV

singletrackmind

I guess you could buy 4 and put them really close together to make it appear like a full size TV.

Apart from that , D lock the side gate and get soem PIR lamps set up so the sensors detect 1m above ground. That way cats and foxes should set them off .

myti
    Free Member

I m amased how many people post holiday pics on social media, if they are a director their home address is posted online

Hopefully people feel safe enough that their own friends aren’t going to burgle their houses when on holiday though. Yes a Google of my name would probably give u my address but how is that linked to your social media? This is what privacy settings are for.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Burglary of parents house’ is closed to new replies.