Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Burglar alarm question
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Friend of mine bought a house (about 5yrs ago) with a burglar fitted, doesn’t have codes for it, but never used it so all was ok.

This morning its started bleeping, and the tamper light has come on. Not sure what to do next, and ideas?

footflaps

Get the hell out of there!

That model has a nuclear option…

allthepies
    Free Member

Is it a wireless system ? Could indicate that a sensor needs a battery change ?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The various sensors, bell box and control panel have micro switches on them so you can’t take the cover off without setting the alarm off unless you enter the engineers code. This is known as anti tamper. There should also be a second pair of cables running to each sensor which are also anti tamper (two for power, two for alarm and two for anti tamper for a PIR for example).
    Has the mains power been disconnected?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Ah, good questions. Will have to have a poke round later on. My thoughts were that the battery in the bell box had expired. Started in the middle of the night, so could have been a power outage.

Is there much I’m likely to be able to do without any codes?

richc
    Free Member

Silly question have you tried ringing the manufacturer? As I doubt this is that uncommon for people to lose the codes.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Very good point richc. Only happened last night, so not tried much yet. Will be interesting to see how we sleep tonight, it beeps every 60 seconds!!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

There should be a battery in the bell box if its a decent system.

You could open the panel, disconnect the mains and the back up battery but then the bell will sound until its own battery goes flat. If you can find the two wires supplying power to the bell and put 12 volts across it that should stop the bell sounding.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Ah, nice one rockhopper, just the sort of info I was looking for. Ear plugs at the ready…

Greybeard
    Free Member

Friend of mine bought a house

Will be interesting to see how we sleep tonight

Are you sleeping at your friend’s house, then? 🙂

I think if you can find the model number (once open and disarmed) and search online you’ll probably find a manual that will describe how to reset the code to the factory default, after that you can reprogramme your own code.

Another option to silencing the bell battery is to open the bell box from a ladder (take care!) and disconnect it.

pacemaker
    Free Member

I bet if you removed the fuse in the spur that powers the alarm it will probably die immediately if not quite quickly.

In my experience (I used to work for ADT ) the backup batteries are normally knackered by the time they are 5 year old.

If not as said above disconnect the backup batteries on both the panel and bell box.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Google the make and model of the alarm and find the codes.

I found the ones for the system in the house I bought after I triggered it by accident.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Burglar alarm question’ is closed to new replies.