Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Burghers – commuting?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Pedalled home tonight for the first time this week (centre to Joppa). Pretty sketchy on 23mm tyres but. OK on cx. Anyone else riding the roads? Think cx to work could be fun.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, been in and out both days so far, city centre roads are just wet slush and seem fine, a couple of compacted patches on the non-major routes that are still a bit sketchy.

I’m taking about twenty minutes to get all the waterproofs and layers on though, for a 15 minute commute… 🙄

jimmy

Can’t be bothered with the faff for just 3 miles. Wish I was further out to make it worth while.

Northwind

Took a day off yesterday but was on the bike today, not as much fun as I’d expected as so many of the footpaths and offroad bits are basically unrideable (yes I know, I know, unrideable just means “I can’t ride it” but I don’t know any secret that’ll make a standard bike go through 2 foot of crusted snow!) I love riding in snow but this is a bit much really, the depth just makes it a total sod. The roads aren’t too bad up here, wouldn’t take the road bike on it with its standard slicks but the mtb does fine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rode too and from work sat sun mon nights. Just get on with it.

I did put the snow claws on my commuter tho. Deep snow and compacted ice as well as slush

Entertaining – I was going faster than an ambulance on blues and twos.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’ll be a first 😛

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Northwind
    I love riding in snow but this is a bit much really, the depth just makes it a total sod.

Ok, we have already had the DIY spiked tyres thread, now lets have the DIY snow plough bike thread. 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZkyLTfLPg[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvqS-ENak0[/video]

chickenman

I really must get a joiners cart for the back of the bike: Can get to jobs but can’t pull off the cleared bit of the road to park….plus the schools have decided it’s much too dangerous for the teaching staff to venture out; all schools closed for the week so small boy on rampage!!!
    Won’t earn much this week!! 😥
    Actually I find the snow rather fun..

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Last night I rode out and in (reverse commute!) along the WoL. Ice tyres. Long patches (esp on the N cycle route) were a crusty layer over slush so lots of “jackhammer” effects and sideways motion. Wasnt much fun. Cant decide if today is any better so decided to stay indoors. The roads are better though.

Until I had to dig out the neighbours who’d seen me drive off this morning.

stuartm555
    Free Member

Tried cycling out on the canal towpath yesterday and made it as far as longstone before giving up and moving to the road. Road was fine although not very nice getting when the gritter overtook me and sprayed a big wave of ice and salt at me 🙁

marti
    Free Member

Im thinking about cycling in from Roslin To Bruntsfield tomorrow, Not so concerned about my ability to stay on the bike, as I am about out of control cars side swiping me. have seen a lot of tyre marks in the snow where cars have lost control. be careful out there

fatmax

Cramond to S. Queensferry through a fairly well cleared Dalmeny Estate, but the snow was pretty deep and unrideable where it hadn’t been cleared. Will give it another bash tomorrow. Lots of time getting ready for little riding tho…

druidh
    Free Member

Roads are fine. Mostly slush now but you might find some compacted icy lumps in places. Broughton Street was icing over this evening and providing Nark with the opportunity for some rad wheelspin action. Nae such fun with the Conti Ice Claws.

ojom
    Free Member

Couple of slippy bits – ice on Broughton street was amusing as were the chunks of solid stuff along Colinton.

Got home and in to work in a couple of minutes more than i would normally thanks to no cars and the ones that were out were actually being super sensible and driving respectfully.

Got a couple of WTF’s on the way out of woodhall road this morning. It hasnt been cleared and there are a few cars deposited along it randomly – it’s quite bad.

A bus ended up off route in someones drive yesterday so they have changed the route somewhat and there was a JCB in tonight helping access.

Anyway. Centre is grand just now but i suspect after the all day freeze tomorrow it will be a different matter.

PLUS – Marathon Plus 32c tyres have a nice floaty light feel on ice.

andy7t2
    Free Member

rode both days on my road bike 23mm slick tyres, might take the mountain bike and 2.3 tyres tom

coastkid
    Free Member

meanwhile 18 miles east of Town… 😮

ojom
    Free Member

Oh i am Nark now am I?

debaser

Quick spin on the mtb yesterday. Fine on slushy gritted roads, hard/impossible in snow on uncleared cyclepaths. No fun at all 🙁

Almost grabbed the commuter from the shed this morning but was glad I didn’t as Lochend Road was sheet ice on the way home and I saw quite a few cars out of control.

The walk to work through holyrood park in the snow makes for a rather refreshing alternative to the bike. Pretty as it is, walking is frustratingly slow though. I’m not sure how long my patience will last with it.

AlasdairMc

Bruce – I’m guessing you’re loving this weather too?!?

I rode in today from Balerno on the main road, perfectly fine everywhere except the very start of the route. Looking forward to tomorrow as I spent time digging the shed out tonight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Quite slushy today but good fun. CX tyres FTW!

woffle
    Free Member

Maxxi CX Locusts worked grand yesterday for me. Best commute ever in the morning – just miles of pristine snow, coming home was a bit more of a slush-fest but down to about 30psi I always felt like I had decent grip…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Burghers – commuting?’ is closed to new replies.