Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Burbage Rocks (recreational route/footpath)
  • benjii19
    Free Member

Off Ringinglow Road down the side of burbage rocks down to Fox House. This is a recreational route according to OSmaps. However am I even allowed to ride it? One walker didn’t think so this weekend, even as I said hello and took my time as not to alarm anyone.

It does say footpath on the route but looking at Osmaps it’s a recreational route.

ginga
    Free Member

Footpath according to signage and my quite old os map, although it is a favourite ride of mine. Not had any hassle round there yet but there’s always the next walker…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

its a footpath without a doubt and a VERY wet one at the minute

rob-jackson
    Free Member

BTW its better the other way 😀

BadlyWiredDog

Isn’t that the track that at one point the Peak Park were considering making into a bridleway? We were once lifting bikes over the stile at the Stanage end when a Park Ranger appeared, he didn’t bat an eyelid. Said nothing at all.

benjii19
    Free Member

There are some A4 posters about making the area better for mountain biking walking etc at both gates. What exactly does recreational route mean anyway.

ginga
    Free Member

Are we talking about the top of burbage or the one in the bottom of burbage valley? Although Even if the bottom of the valley was a bw I d still be on the fp above the edge – without wanting to start an access discusion ….yawn

benjii19
    Free Member

the one below burbage edge

ginga
    Free Member

The os definition says walkers, cyclists and horseriders may use a recreational routes depending on the underlying rights of way which I guessin this case is a fp. So stick to the fp on the top of burbage, break the same rules but have more fun 🙂

benjii19
    Free Member

i love it rules that make no sense!

amodicumofgnar

Have a look at Ride Sheffield for stuff on Eastern Moors. National Trust / RSPB have been doing a big consultation about opening new routes up in the area. If its not on the website then there’s usually stuff on the Ride Sheffield facebook page.

benjii19
    Free Member

Cheers for the link, some interesting reading. Although biking is more fun than reading!

ridesheffield
    Free Member

Both footpaths. The bottom one historically was a bridlway (the green drive – for horses from Longshaw)- there is discussion about an upgrade, but it is a very busy path.
    The top one used to be a Sheffield local secret fave, ridden by locals in small groups, when it was dry and when it was quiet.
    In the last year, post strava and a wet summer is pretty trashed, it is widened in places and quite churned up in others. It really needs a bit of a rest (and taking off strava), not being ridden on a weekend, and not being ridden ig big groups (15+!)
    Mountain bikers have been tolerated up there to a degree by landowners, but that was when the impact was minimal

FOG

Used to ride both regularly in the eighties but it has become so busy, even the top route, that it is hadly worth it except at night

Superficial
    Free Member

The bottom path is dull as anything. It’s just a conduit, no fun to be had at all. Since it’s wide and well-maintained, your bike will never cause any harm. However, the access laws are such that riding there is just as illegal as the top path.

I’ve been stopped on the top by a park ranger. He wasn’t too happy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Burbage Rocks (recreational route/footpath)’ is closed to new replies.