Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bumped into some Commandos in Glencoe……
  • peterfile
    Free Member

saw a big group of them on an exercise while we are climbing in Glencoe on Saturday.

Met them in the Clachaig later, all very polite and well behaved (although a bit smelly!).

A few of them were trying to impress Mrs Peterfile at the bar after she said that she’d spotted them on the hill earlier (turns out they were from 45 Commandos in Arbroath doing artic training or something like that).

Quite a funny exchange between a group of Commandos and a 5’4″ skinny girl in a pink woolly hat ensued (Mrs Peterfile was a wee bit tipsy at this point!):

“Yeah, we’ve been climbing all day carrying 60lb packs”

“Wow, why were your packs so heavy?!!”

“We had to lug 4 man tents with us”

“Oh cool, we’re camping too, where abouts are you pitched?”

“Erm…we’re actually staying in a hostel…..but we’re having to climb Ben Nevis tomorrow!!!!”

*pulls out phone and shows picture of her on the Ben in the snow and dark*

“Pussies, I climbed The Ben at 5am last month in pitch black after camping in Glen Nevis. I thought Commandos were supposed to be tough?”

…someone then stops talking to order a pint of lemonade….

“are you guys just dressed up on a stag do or something?”

Poor guys, they looked absolutely done in after being beasted on the hills all day and then took a torrent of abuse from a little girl!

(I still don’t understand why they were staying in a hostel instead of camping though!)

🙂

davetrave
    Free Member

Ha ha! Poor old cabbage heads…!

PS That whole area from Glencoe north up to and including the Ben is still technically classed as a military training area…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We’ve often in the past seen big groups of them in Coire Nan Lochan, digging snow holes and climbing in the gullies.

peterfile
    Free Member

We’ve often in the past seen big groups of them in Coire Nan Lochan, digging snow holes and climbing in the gullies.

Aye, there’s some amazing (and sketchy!) climbing around Coire Nan Lochan. Some of those climbs are quite intimidating in winter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bumped into some Commandos in Glencoe……’ is closed to new replies.