Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bum Bag / Waist Pack / Fanny Pack – anyone use one?
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Of late I’ve been riding straight from the door which is, at most, 2hr 30min ride and I find my pack overkill.

All I need is a spare tube, C02 inflator, phone, keys, snack, tyre levers, multitool and water bottle. I often hydrate a fair bit before riding and don’t drink as much when out anyway.

Does anyone use a bumbag / waist pack instead of a pack for shorter rides?

Something like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/deuter-pulse-three-2014/rp-prod76637

If so what are you using? What are your experiences? The pros and cons?

Cheers

scotroutes

I have an ancient Karrimor bag that I’ve been using for years. It doesn’t carry bottles very well whilst riding, but that’s why bottle cages were invented.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No, I have a 1.5l camelback with enough room for all of that stuff. Easy

teadrinker
    Free Member

I have nothing useful to say, but your title reminded me of this instantly.[video]http://youtu.be/LDsfzJXGAo8[/video]

brassneck

Yes, have an Osprey one for much the same reasoning. Not really used it since I got a Charge camelbak though. Doesn’t hold bottles very well, I’d stick with a cage and pockets I think in future, but the main plus is you can load it with some basic tools and a tube and it’s always ready to pick up and go.

benp1

On the basis that you’re not a fan of seat packs or similar, then bumbags work well

I use an OMM 3l waist pouch. No water inside it but everything else. I use it for commuting and the odd bit of mountain biking (if I’m carrying extra bits that won’t fit on the bike, like a windshirt)

I’m surprised how much stuff fits in there, and you don’t really notice stuff thats in there (if you use the elastic bungee to secure the contents)

Its MUCH better than a sweaty back

jimw
    Free Member

Yes, I use one a bit like that, but it was £9.99 from Mountain Warehouse. I can get almost everything I want in it for a half day ride, including a small bottle if I’m on the bike I have with no bottle mounts ( but that is less comfortable as you do notice the extra weight) I do use a Camelbak for longer sessions but prefer the bag for most occasions

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have a nice big 90’s Nike Makalu that lies patiently in the drawer waiting for my waistline to go back to the future 8)

NormalMan

I’ve got an old Marin one from the early 90’s. Still going strong.

vondally
    Free Member

on and off over the tears due to shoulder and neck issues

old karrimor one from the day

old camelback bandido like this

and almost but not quite Wingnut Hyper 2.5

Best is the wingnut then the camelback last is a fanny pack

the other are okay and fine for 3 hours with a couple of bottles

or try a frame pack

or smaller from aplkit and other for the top tube??

funkhouser
    Free Member

i have one of these, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/the-north-face-enduro-belt-1-1/

get a tube and c02 in the little pocket.

dont bother that much tho tbh, prefer the kitchen sink approach.

dawson

Yep, Camelbak Flashflo for local rides, but I don’t use the water pouch as it makes it too heavy. I use bottles for water duties

ade9933
    Free Member

yeah I have this one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/osprey-talon-6-lumbar-waist-pack/

I have Flashflo envy tho.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I use a big bumbag – lumbar pack really – and no camelback, unless I need to carry a lot of water. Which is rare this time of year.

nuke

Been a camelbak flashflo user for years but never liked how it tended to sink down and is unsupported. Fan of Wingnut packs but my Hyper is too big for short local stuff.

However now they’ve introduced the Wingnut Assault and i imported one this summer…its brilliant as its low on your back and small like a bumbag but is properly supported by the shoulder straps

Here…
    http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Wingnut-Assault-Rucksack.html

tang
    Free Member

Before wingnut came along I used various ‘mountain smith’ lumber packs from the states. But I have to say mostly these days I look for any excuse not to wear a pack unless I really need to.

chrispo
    Free Member

Used to have lovely thin unbranded one for tools and tube and food till it fell apart. Didn’t get on with Camelbak with reservoir, wouldn’t sit tight against back. Now just use pockets as much as possible, an acceptable compromise.

Weight on hips feels sooo much better in XC. Less sweaty.

FOG

Got a Lowe one that someone gave me. I tend to use it on all up to 3 hour rides but in the winter or for alldayers, I have an Osprey pack.
    I have been seriously thinking about a small pack for short rides as the bottle cage on my FS is one of the side entry type which makes it a real pain to get in and out while riding. The drawback would be most of the small packs I have seen are all bladder with little room for pump, tube etc.

prawny

Me too, I do I lot of hour long rides in and in the summer it’s much nicer just having a small pack with a tube and multitool in. I go with the pack in the winter because the bottles get minging in the mud and the heat isn’t so much of an issue. That said I might get a bumbag that will hold a bottle sooner or later for warm wet days in spring and autumn.

Cowman

I have a nice terra nova lazer bum bag I ride with in the same situation. It’s great. Drawstrings up tight and cozy to my back.

carlosg
    Free Member

Got a couple of big old aquapac century backpacs for xc duties but for dh I have a bumbag thing that fits a pump/tube/multitool and I just leave a big bottle of water at the bottom of runs/in the car

BoardinBob

I use this for racing. Way better than a full rucksack

http://nsmb.com/dakine-enduro-hip-pack/

project
    Free Member

Just reminded me im the owner of one, no idea where i got it from many years ago, but must try it out tommorrow on the road bike and will report back.

Bottles used to prematurely eject themselves going down hill on rocky bits when riding a mtb.

They do hold quite a few things, without the rub on the shoulders of a rucksack

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Wow…more popular than I thought. Lots of options to consider. Definitely don’t want anything too large. I’d imagine 3L at most would be more than enough for the items I’d like to take out.

As for water I could always run a bottle and cage. Which probably means the bag/pack could be smaller still.

Quite strangely I can’t remember the last time I had a puncture, needed to use my multitool, make/receive a call on a local ride but they are there just in case. Especially the phone.

Del

another osprey talon here – the 8L one. use it all year round. having ridden in with a camelbak to work this morning, i remember how minging your back gets when using a pack. i doubt i’ll go back to a full pack.
    carries two bottles fine, and the retention/release on them is really good. travel fairly light and there’s room for another litre in the bag as well if i wanted it in summer.

simon1975

Yes I bought a cheapo Trespass bumbag to try this myself http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trespass-Alpaca-Technical-Bumbag-Cobalt/dp/B00BTGLE68

With water in a bottle on the frame.

I have to say, it’s been superb! No more sweaty back, and much more comfortable than having weight on my shoulders. Can’t see any reason to upgrade from that.

I still use a Camelbak for longer rides when I need to carry spare clothing / food, but for the shorter rides the bumbag is great.

birdage

Been using a Deuter one with netted side pockets for the last 5 years. Holds glasses, bike pump, change, bike tool, cravat, tyre levers, lock, spare links, brake pad, sometimes small binoculars and other detritus.

Find it easier to get out of the saddle on climbs then when wearing a rucksack and it winds up my riding buddies for some reason?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bum Bag / Waist Pack / Fanny Pack – anyone use one?’ is closed to new replies.