Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Bum bag / saddle bag / pockets / frame bag?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Looking for a way to carry the essentials for local 2 hour blasts.

Has anyone used any of these to carry a tube, CO2, multi tool, a few bolts and phone and keys?

Looking to drop the backpack and go for something else to allow me to carry the basics. Saddle bag was my first thought but I’ve got a dropper post so not sure if a saddle bag will interfere with the operation of the post. I quite like the simplicity of using the pockets but not sure if I can carry enough in just pockets.

I’ll carry water in bottle in a cage and as I only have 1 set of mounts on my bike I can’t use one of those cage tub things for the spares.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ortileb Micro is waterproof and will work with a dropper, cheap too. Locate taps on route or buy a SIS 1ltr bottle.

swoosh
    Free Member

How much can it hold? What size is it?

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s “micro” so small, they do bigger ones, but this one mounts to saddle rails and doesn’t foul the tyre. I’ve squeezed a tubeless repair kit, multi tool, tyre lever, CO2 cylinder & 650b tube into mine.

Food & pump into jersey pockets.

1 bottle on bike.

I do prefer using a sleeveless jersey under my riding jersey and stashing stuff in its rear pockets, but it’s too warm at the moment for that.

colournoise

Alpkit Enduro Pod. Can fit a tube, CO2, small multi-tool and a couple of tyre levers in mine (Phone and keys live in shorts pockets).

Still haven’t quite sussed out where on the bike I prefer it though.

swoosh
    Free Member

colournoise – Member
    Alpkit Enduro Pod. Can fit a tube, CO2, small multi-tool and a couple of tyre levers in mine (Phone and keys live in shorts pockets).

Still haven’t quite sussed out where on the bike I prefer it though.

I’ve spotted that one and like it. Might foul my cable run though but I guess as with most things in life, there is a compromise somewhere.

cheers_drive

The Piggy sounds perfect for your needs if you can put your phone in a pocket.

Piggy @ Swinley by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

jobro
    Free Member

I use a Sticky Pod organiser for exactly (plus a few bits more) what you want to carry. Works fine for me.I am however, really thinking about giving one of those top tube pod bags a go.

https://www.amazon.com/STICKY-CYCLE-POCKET-ORGANIZER-LARGE/dp/B0085QJDOU

swoosh
    Free Member

That piggy looks like a great idea. Will have to see if it fitsy full suspension frame but could be only something with that or the ortileb saddle bag.

jruk
    Free Member

Osprey Talon ftw. Everything you need for 3+ hour rides without being bulky.

al2000

For longer rides I use my Camelbak, and for short two hour-ish rides I’ve just been winging it – no tools / tube or pump, just a water bottle and one of these for phone, car key and sweets :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U8MOHNG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve also got a cheapy Mountain Warehouse bumbag that I could get pump / tube / tools etc in, but it bounces around a bit too much.

There’s lots of nice bits and pieces that I *could* get to festoon my bike with stuff, but for the longer rides I may as well just take the Camelback – water capacity is the main problem anyway.

The OneUp EDC tools do look nice though, and I’m tempted by one of the Backcountry Research straps..

monkeyboyjc

I use a lyzene tool roll (dropper compatible) for tolls and bits and bobs, a back country research super 8 for a tube (fatbike, but they do others for regular sizes ). Pockets for a phone and food. Then for longer rides and when the weather goes south I use a small restrap frame bag to carry any additional clothing and/or bladder.
    Been roding this way for over a year now and not picked up the camelback once.

schmiken

I’ve got a Piggy as well (on a Scott Spark) and it works OK too!

obi1
    Free Member

This bum bag, or pack de fanny if you prefer. Don’t overload it and it’s great. Has a bladder too.

bumbag

Innertube strapped under the saddle, all the tools, co2 etc in a tool bottle so everything I ever need is always on the bike. Phone and keys in pockets for short rides, bumbag adds water and energy bars for longer rides.

tillydog
    Free Member

Small saddle bag for emergency tube, multi-tool (incl. chain splitter), puncture kit, quick link, wad of duct tape, etc. – Quite a few available that will just mount on the saddle rails, so will work with a dropper (Topeak do several).

Pump on bottle cage mount (together with the bottle).

Don’t bother with CO2.

Key in shorts pocket (house or car key only – don’t take the full bunch).

Phone in other shorts pocket inside plastic bag.

Works for me…

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Back Country Research straps are good.

kiwijohn

I’ve got the Back Country Research Mutherload for tube and multi tool.
    Just ordered a Race Face rip strip to hold a couple of soft bottles. Should be just right for night rides.

timba
    Free Member

Topeak Tribag drybag. You can get the breaks/hurts-when-you-fall-stuff in easily, tube in your back pocket if necessary. I’m not sure whether mine is the medium or large

FOG

I have a £3.50 Decathlon seat pack with multi tool, tube and levers plus a tiny decathlon bumbag also £3.50 with phone keys and very small waterproof and of course water in the bottle. For longer rides where I might need more snacks etc I use one of the Alpkit pods. I now only use the backpack for all day winter rides in Scotland where I might need dry and warm fresh layers

paule
    Free Member

I use an old vistalight battery pouch, it fits just behind the headtube and wraps over the toptube & round the downtube/headtube junction, a bit like a miniature bikepacking frame bag. Holds a tube, allen key set, quick link, sticky patches, energy gel, CO2 and a couple of quid. Keys and phone go in the pocket of my jersey or shorts, depending if I’m riding in baggies or lycra.

I’m sure I’ve seen similar bags on amazon for very little cash. Doesn’t get in the way with a dropper post, or rattle about and catch on the stem bolts like a toptube mounted pod can.

benp1

I use a bumbag for anything short – Montane Batpack 6 or a OMM waist pouch 3l, usually the former

Can take snacks, tools, tube, pump etc. Space to take clothes too, at the moment might be arm warmers and gilet, when it’s cold it might be an insulated gilet. Bottle of water in the cage on the bike

paule
    Free Member

Mine is a bit like this:
    Bag on charlie the bikemonger

mikertroid
    Free Member

Obi1 + 1 here

stevextc
    Free Member

I think its incredibly personal…
    I can’t stand extra stuff on the frame (except quadlock)… some people love it.

I’m OK with a bum bag but has been known to catch the saddle if it gets loose… I’m sure some people would hate it… and by preference I’d have a backpack once its past multitool, spare tube type carrying.

nedrapier

I don’t bother with a water bottle if it’s less than 2 hours and not too hot.

Guzzle a pint of water before you leave, or more if you can. squash helps.

Should be OK then with std 650/750 ml for the last hour.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I recently purchased a Dakine hot laps hip pack, and has been great for the shorter rides. comfy to wear, can fit keys and basic tools along with a pocket for a drinks bottle.

roastdinner
    Free Member

The Backcountry Research straps look good but I can’t seem to find any in the UK, seems the distributor has stopped selling here. I think they sell something similar in the cafe at Llandegla though.

johnas7
    Free Member

i got a cheap running belt thing from sports direct which has been spot on for 3 hours rides. Theres a little pocket which i can get a small tool, gels in, co2 cannisters and a place to put a bottle of water/sports drink in. Ive also stuck a small pump in next to the bottle before i got co2 cannisters. Was only £10.

fifeandy
    Free Member

29er tube, CO2 Inflater/Cartridges, levers, multitool, quick link, self adhesive patches, and tyre boot crammed into a poly bag (kinda thing your bib shorts may be delivered in), just fits into middle pocket of most jerseys, leaving side pockets free for jacket, arm warmers, emergency gel, phone and keys.

swoosh
    Free Member

stevextc – Member
    I think its incredibly personal…
    I can’t stand extra stuff on the frame (except quadlock)… some people love it.

I’m OK with a bum bag but has been known to catch the saddle if it gets loose… I’m sure some people would hate it… and by preference I’d have a backpack once its past multitool, spare tube type carrying.

I agree with this. Some of the ways people carry stuff either wouldn’t work for me or I can’t see how it would be comfortable. But they obviously find it works for them.

I like the look of the piggy as the gear is on the bike and down low for a nice low centre of gravity but I can’t completely see why others prefer to shove everything in the pockets and have a bike without any additional items festooned to it.

fancypants
    Free Member
    TheDTs
    Free Member

I use an Inov8 runners bum bag for everything except when I carry knee pads.
    Bag has all I need in and is ready to go whichever bike I decide to ride.

bruneep

Talon user here. really comfy and stable

sillysilly
    Free Member
    konanige

Am running a Wee Cog Slider as featured on here, works perfect on a dropper and plenty room for tools tube Co2 etc.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Back Country Research strap.

Also have some rather fetching sleeveless summer roadie jerseys which are of a string vest construction basically, with pockets on the back. Usually use them for when i’m racing & out for more than a couple of hours.

Don’t do backpacks on the bike unless i absolutely have to. Hate it.

colournoise

konanige – Member
    Am running a Wee Cog Slider as featured on here, works perfect on a dropper and plenty room for tools tube Co2 etc.

Got a Slider too. Lovely thing, but on my bike (Rocket) it hits the tyre really badly when the rear gets near full compression with the seat down. No huge issue, just really irritating so I no longer use it (and hence the switch to the Alpkit Enduro Pod).

cookeaa

Umm, it’s just occurred to me to try this:

The bottom of a bottle cage and a downtube aren’t really all that different from a pair of seat rails and a seat post. It fits perfectly.
    What have I missed? A 10 quid wedge pack (temporarily borrowed from my CX bike) and a basic alloy bottle cage, that’s it…

Why aren’t other people doing this?
    why is a specialized SWAT cage/box setup so breathtakingly expensive when it essentially does the same thing?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Bum bag / saddle bag / pockets / frame bag?’ is closed to new replies.