Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 177 total)
  • Bullshit that has become true through repetition
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

That well-known photography and videography website – Pinkbike is actually a Mountain Bike site.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I agree with that point in general but the written media[ newsprint] is clearly, and in fact openly, right wing

News papers are responding to their customers. Left wing people don’t buy newspapers, they would only read one if it where given to them. 😉

finbar
    Free Member

There is no VAT on food

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70114-food/vat-notice-70114-food
    You must always standard-rate (SR) VAT on …
    ice cream, similar products, and mixes for making them – see 3.5

confectionery, apart from cakes and some biscuits, – see 3.6

alcoholic beverages, – see 3.7

other beverages, and preparations for making them – see 3.7

potato crisps, roasted or salted nuts and some other savoury snack products – see 3.8

products for home brewing and wine making – see 3.7.

Standard diet of all those ill-educated, NHS-draining ignorant plebs only earning £30k, surely?

binners

Well if you are earning, say, £30k pa you are taking out more in services (NHS, infrastructure, pension) than you are putting in.

Got anything to support that Jammers? Or is it just more Jambernomics that we just have to take at face value, because… well.. it just ‘is’

😆

binners

Standard diet of all those ill-educated, NHS-draining ignorant plebs only earning £30k, surely?

Not to mention the huge tax on 12 packs of Stella, packets of 20 Lambert & Butler and big Tellies with Sky Sports subscriptions

grum
    Free Member

More of an urban myth I suppose but that thing about how you supposedly swallow a certain amount of spiders per year from them crawling into your mouth while you’re sleeping…. was made up by someone creating a list of examples of the kind of stupid made-up ‘facts’ that end up being perceived as true – but it became ‘fact’ anyway. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

The poor pay more in VAT as a proportion of their income

There is no VAT on food, rent and reduced rates on energy. The campaign groups that spout this nonsense twist the calculation to exclude food, rent etc and just look at additional discretionary spending. I’ve been enough of an anorak to do my own calculations and the less well off par far less VAT as a proportion than the majority, you have to get to the very wealthy who are saving a lot of money each year before the myth is true.

So its not true and a myth except for when its true

IMHO posts work better when you dont contradict your own point
    HTH

mefty
    Free Member

Trickle Down’ economics

The existence of the theory of “Trickle Down” economics – see here for discussion.

rocketman
    Free Member

Religion

[quote]End of thread right there. [/quote]^^ this

AlexSimon

The ‘food triangle’

swavis

Basking sharks hibernating on the ocean floor during the winter, they don’t.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2785-basking-shark-hibernation-a-fishy-tale/

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well if we’re going down the road of taxation.

“higher earners pay twice the rate of income tax as lower earners”

Aside from the fact that we all pay the same rate at the various levels of income one little nugget the most moaners miss is that at the same level that income tax goes from 20% to 40% NI drops from 12% to 2% so really total deductions go from 32% to 42%, add in the fact that unless you’re doing very well the majority of your income is taxed at the same rate as everyone else – the difference is actually negligible.

binners

The ‘food triangle’….?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

And in fact proves the concept of the thread quite well.

That people believe bullshit made to mislead them?

Panorama certainly did a good job on the weak minded…

bikebouy
    Free Member

binners winz dafred

😆

Kryton57

P-Jay – Member
    Well if we’re going down the road of taxation.

“higher earners pay twice the rate of income tax as lower earners”

Aside from the fact that we all pay the same rate at the various levels of income one little nugget the most moaners miss is that at the same level that income tax goes from 20% to 40% NI drops from 12% to 2% so really total deductions go from 32% to 42%, add in the fact that unless you’re doing very well the majority of your income is taxed at the same rate as everyone else – the difference is actually negligible.

Push it further, and beyond £100k you lose your personal allowance in stages, so abouve £100k life becomes almost unbearable due to taxation alledgedly.

brooess
    Free Member

House prices will go up for ever and ever and ever and never ever fall again. Ever. Amen
    Leveraged BTL is a foolproof, guaranteed investment rather than a speculative gamble based on historically low interest rates which will never ever go up. Ever.
    We’ll never ever have to pay off all the debt we’re in and it’s all ok so long as we can afford the monthly repayments…

gonefishin
    Free Member

Push it further, and beyond £100k you lose your personal allowance in stages, so abouve £100k life becomes almost unbearable due to taxation alledgedly.

Bit of a straw man there. I don’t know of anyone who said anything like that although it is the case that if you are earning just over the £100k it makes good financial sense to do whatever you can within the law to reduce your gross income to less than that figure.

rickmeister

Welshfarmer,

If I keep saying its true, it will become a meme, correct … ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can’t seem to turn on the news these days without hearing some politician repeat that if someone has somehow been identified as being involved in terrorist activities that the government would somehow be remiss in its duties if it didn’t go bomb the shit out of them regardless of nationality or what country they happen to be in, without any sort of trial or publication of evidence.

Kryton57

Bit of a straw man there. I don’t know of anyone who said anything like that although it is the case that if you are earning just over the £100k it makes good financial sense to do whatever you can within the law to reduce your gross income to less than that figure.

Indeed. I had this conversation in the office and it went two ways:

a) General advice – stick anything that approaches 100k and beyond into your salary sacrifice pension – for sake of argument – at work, so you only “take home” 100k but the rest goes into your potential future.

b) Even every 50p in every £1 is a contribution toward a new <insert essential purchase item here> should I need the money available.

Note we are not talking my salary here fwiw..!

gonefishin
    Free Member

a) General advice – stick anything that approaches 100k and beyond into your salary sacrifice pension – for sake of argument – at work, so you only “take home” 100k but the rest goes into your potential future.

Yeah that’s exactly what I did, although it needn’t be a salary sacrifice scheme; any pension scheme will do the same job you just need to wait a little longer to get the cash. Other sacrifice schemes like buying additional leave will do the same thing.

nealglover
    Free Member

That people believe bullshit made to mislead them?

Absolutely.

Couple of good examples.

http://www.davidicke.com/

http://www.infowars.com

Lots of stuff for sale on both those sites, and lots of advertising revenue.
    There’s a shed load of money to be made spreading “the truth”

ransos
    Free Member

Quite – as we have seen recently, people have complained to the Telegraph about how earning a fortune has left them in penury.

trailhound101

If you remove a pen drive from a computer before closing it properly, the e-horsemen of the apocolypse will be unleashed and will do untold damage… I’ve tried it – it doesn’t.

antigee

was going to say “trickle down economics” but already covered

“mefty – Member
    Trickle Down’ economics
    The existence of the theory of “Trickle Down” economics – see here for discussion.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/04/sorry-but-trickle-down-economics-doesnt-exist-and-never-has-done/

now I’m lost – trickle down never existed and there are articles that tell me that – if there are multiple articles I guess that makes it true?

jimjam
    Free Member

trailhound101

If you remove a pen drive from a computer before closing it properly, the e-horsemen of the apocolypse will be unleashed and will do untold damage… I’ve tried it – it doesn’t.

That can actually happen.

wrecker
    Free Member

Boost 148.

Garry_Lager

The idea that people once thought the world is flat is bollox, it’s never been a widely-held belief.

Erastothenes calculated the circumference of the earth in 200 BC (without leaving Egypt 8) ), so anyone educated has known the world is round since ancient times. But even an illiterate peasant would appreciate it if they lived by the sea, and know for a fact if they ever saw / sailed a boat.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Lots of stuff for sale on both those sites, and lots of advertising revenue.
    There’s a shed load of money to be made spreading “the truth”

It’s a tricky one~ not sure if it’s a money making enterprise, or a means of sustaining their work, but you do have a fair point… surely if truths of such significance were being revealed, someone would do it for free, for the common good…

That said, the money made trying to prevent war pales in comparison to the money made by those who make war…

Kahurangi

I have lost data this way. I usually format my USB drives to write data instantly so that you can just unplug them. One drive I forgot to, then did indeed lose data.

You can lose data, doesn’t mean you will. Likely OS’s have improved since XP too and don’t write data to removable drives like they used to.

Macavity
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

The idea that people once thought the world is flat is bollox, it’s never been a widely-held belief.

ain’t that a kick in the head

digga
    Free Member

“Turkey is a democracy.”

Next in lines is “Turkey is ready to join the EU”.

Drac

Why is Adam Sandler talking to Prince Andrew and hasn’t he turned grey. Makes you think?

aracer
    Free Member

Sort of.[/quote]

I’ll make a note for when I next put batteries in a spacecraft equipped with solar panels experiencing a day/night cycle.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Bears can’t run downhill

Dogs can’t look up

The moon landings…

andytherocketeer

it’s all Li-Ion for spacecraft batteries now. Just for the avoidance of doubt, given the thread title, that’s not BS that’s become “fact”.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Bullshit that has become true through repetition’ is closed to new replies.