Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)
  • Bullshit that has become true through repetition
  • SiofCannock
    Free Member

Oasis were one of the greatest bands ever.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Coldplay should come out of retirement

welshfarmer

That Aldi and Lidl are owned by brothers who fell out and started competing supermarkets. I call bullshit. It was even a pub quiz question and everyone was given the point for giving that answer. It is so entrenched I even gave that answer just to get the point as I knew there would be no point arguing.

Puma and Adidas on the other hand….

jambalaya
    Free Member

The bloke out of Red Dwarf who was on Robot Wars was convicted of rape.

Indeed acquitted.

On that note,

There was a Westminster peopophile ring based at Dolphin Sq which included the murder of 3 boys

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Austerity

pondo

That the best response to people who are attacking the West because we’ve been attacking them is to attack them more.

rickmeister

Welshfarmer… It’s true… They split over ciggies

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

There was a Westminster peopophile ring based at Dolphin Sq

Still being investigated…

In fact John Mann managed to find files that the Wanless review missed

found this interesting from the Commons Home Affairs Comittee during the Tom Watson ‘Witchhunt’ hearing:

Not to mention the Panorama programme failing to mention Harvey Proctor’s past…

‘He liked rough trade, the rougher the better…’

cbike
    Free Member

Rickmeister is wrong – and refuted himself with his own link. brilliant.

lucky7500

That David Mellor had sex in his office while wearing a Chelsea football strip. It’s pretty much all that he’s known for and it never happened!!

aracer
    Free Member

NiMH cells remember how much they’ve been discharged

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jive the whole sorry story has been proven to be a fake. Harvey Procror’s gay and used male prostitutes, that’s not a crime nor indeed news.

GrahamS

NiMH cells remember how much they’ve been discharged

Sort of.

When nickel-metal-hydride was introduced in the early 1990s, this chemistry was promoted as being memory-free but this claim is only partially true. NiMH is also subject to memory but to a lesser degree than NiCd. While NiMH has only the nickel plate to worry about, NiCd also includes the memory-prone cadmium negative electrode.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/memory_myth_or_fact

stewartc
    Free Member

That the political opinions of STW Big Hitters are a fair reflection of the thoughts of the the average ‘man on the street’ in the UK.

BigDummy
    Free Member

jivehoneyjive – Member

There was a Westminster peopophile [sic] ring based at Dolphin Sq

Still being investigated…[/quote]

MSP

Hard work creates success.

rickmeister

When the brothers split the company in 1960 over a dispute whether they should sell cigarettes,[11] they owned 300 shops with a cash flow of DM90 million yearly. In 1962, they introduced the name Aldi—short for Albrecht-Diskont. Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd have been financially and legally separate since 1966, although both divisions’ names may appear (as if they were a single enterprise) with certain house brands or when negotiating with contractor companies

A-ha, the brothers fell out and created Aldi and Aldi….

rone

Like lots of these. Some of them mantras.

Apple – it just works.

Trickle down.

The whole debt/deficit election spin.

A Skoda is a VW these days. (I own a Skoda.)

German engineering… (Hmm a lot of these products are built in El cheapo countries and are not what they were.)

Controversially – that Terrorism is actually a massive threat to your day to day life. (When considering the stats of things that are likely to kill you, heart disease, cancer and road accidents. Terrorism on western soil statistically doesn’t compare.)

Pook

Most likely spread by the Met

That sounds like repeated bullshit to me.

crazy-legs

Two bike related ones I’ve heard countless times.
    Steel is real
    Campag wears in, Shimano wears out

konabunny
    Free Member

One was a 27-year-old plumber on his way to a job by Tube; the other, a 47-year-old newspaper vendor walking home from work. Two Londoners, both living peacefully within the law one moment; the next, after sudden encounters with the police, both dead.

On the face of it, the parallels between the cases of Jean Charles de Menezes and Ian Tomlinson are limited. The Brazilian – wrongly suspected of being a potential suicide bomber – was pursued into Stockwell Tube station and shot repeatedly in the head. Tomlinson, as the video footage showed, was ambling through the City when he was shoved to the ground by one of a cluster of baton-wielding officers on a day of wider protests in London.

But it isn’t only the innocence of the victims that links the incidents of 22 July 2005 and 1 April 2009: the more telling connection is in the all-too-familiar concealment. Twenty years on from the extensive police cover-up after the Hillsborough disaster, in which 96 Liverpool fans died, the force is still able to hide its actions.

On both occasions, the Metropolitan Police immediately put out a false version of events.

In the case of de Menezes, the police briefed for a full 24 hours that the victim was an Islamist terrorist – “Suicide bomber shot on Tube” was the Sky News strapline – and only eventually conceded that he was innocent. Andy Hayman, then the Met’s head of counterterrorism and intelligence, was later shown to have concealed his doubts about de Menezes’s guilt from the Met commissioner, Sir Ian Blair, during the hours and days after the shooting. Since then, details have emerged of how the police deleted and selectively presented CCTV footage and photographs of de Menezes. Furthermore, it was said that he had been running; that he had jumped the Tube barriers; that he had been wearing a bulky coat; and that he had been challenged verbally by police. In fact, CCTV footage finally released in July 2007 shows a lightly dressed de Menezes calmly picking up a morning newspaper and strolling through the station barriers on to the escalator.

Similarly, on the day that Tomlinson died of a heart attack the Met issued a wholly misleading statement. A member of the public, it said, told police that “there was a man who had collapsed round the corner”. Officers, it was claimed, had tried to help medics save his life as “missiles, believed to be bottles”, were hurled at them.

The reality, again revealed in video, shows Tomlinson walking with his hands in his pockets, offering neither resistance nor threat to the police line behind him. Next, he is struck around the legs by a baton-wielding Territorial Support Group officer who then shoves Tomlinson to the ground. After “bouncing” – a witness’s word – on the ground, a terrified Tomlinson can be seen looking up in disbelief at the officers, who stand back, leaving the public to tend to him.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/law-and-reform/2009/04/police-tomlinson-menezes

DrJ

Economics

Pook

Konabunny – I dare say they’ve probably stopped saying that now, especially in relation to jpdm. You’ve repeated it though.

smatkins1
    Free Member

“Its made in the same factory as…. McVitites/Kellogg’s/Maxxis/Santa Cruz”

When referring to discount brands in the supermarket and certain bike parts.

I have no idea if its true or not… but it’s sounds like something which is often repeated without much evidence if its bulls#!t or not.

IanMunro
    Free Member

That the baseball ‘World Series’ isn’t just yanks puffing them selves up, but was named after the newspaper sponsoring it.

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

konabunny
    Free Member

Pook – I imagine the metropolitan police have by now abandoned their initial lies but they don’t need to repeat them much once they’ve already become common currency eg http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shooting-in-paris-casualties-reported-hope-this-isnt-what-it-sounds-like/page/12#post-7316425 (the poster in that case being an entirely reasonable person and this is no criticism of him/her).

The David Mellor thing is a great example – and another News International myth to go along with the Max Mosley, Hillsborough and Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster lies. IIRC the Mellor story was placed by Max Clifford.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THIS

Its a subject studied by right wing folk in order to claim there is a science to their politics

If you want three opinion ask two economists etc

richmars

The media has a right wing bias.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bacon sandwich, 2nd of the week, this bodes well for the rest of the week.

Drac

No it’s not. 🙄

binners

That David Mellor had sex in his office while wearing a Chelsea football strip. It’s pretty much all that he’s known for and it never happened!!

Max Clifford should have been strung up for planting that vision in the nations collective consciousness!

I’d also vote for any reports in the Murdoch press about the behaviour of protestors/people on strike/poor people. The last one was the London protests when the headlines were about them deliberately injuring police horses. I always view it through the prism of this…

… because nowt has really changed.

binners

Oh… and ‘Trickle Down’ economics

Yeah, right….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

STW is not a biking forum, it’s a place for middle age men to gather who are not only world class economists, but also experts on middle east policy, and they taught Sebastian Loeb how to drive in the snow.

Er, hang on…

welshfarmer

Rickmeister said

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

🙂 🙂

I rest my case. The Albrecht brothers did split but formed Aldi North and Aldi South.

Lidl is a completely different firm formed by the Schwarz family several years before Aldi came about.

All the Aldi stores in the UK are run by Aldi South

nealglover
    Free Member

There was a Westminster peopophile ring based at Dolphin Sq which included the murder of 3 boys

Hook baited and thrown into barrel.

Still being investigated…
    In fact John Mann managed to find files that the Wanless review missed
    found this interesting from the Commons Home Affairs Comittee during the Tom Watson ‘Witchhunt’ hearing:

Not to mention the Panorama programme failing to mention Harvey Proctor’s past…

‘He liked rough trade, the rougher the better…’

Same old fish, but at least it’s a bite 🙂

And in fact proves the concept of the thread quite well.

jambalaya
    Free Member

STW is not a biking forum, it’s a place for middle age men to gather who are not only world class economists but also experts on middle east policy, and they taught Sebastian Loeb how to drive in the snow.

Excellent. I thought you where talking about me but then again no as it was Stig Blomqvist 😀

The rich don’t pay “their taxes” … top 1% pay 27% of the personal taxes collected

Oh… and ‘Trickle Down’ economics

Yeah, right….
    Well if you are earning, say, £30k pa you are taking out more in services (NHS, infrastructure, pension) than you are putting in.

@jive the police said there is “not a shred of evidence”, I imagine they may well not have formally closed the investigation but that’s a technicality

rone

Well if you are earning, say, £30k pa you are taking out more in services (NHS, infrastructure, pension) than you are putting in

Does that take into account all VAT that a low earner likely spends as a proportion of income?

Kryton57

Winter Tyres needed on EVERYONE’s cars in the UK…

Junkyard
    Free Member

What bias do you think it has then?

I agree with that point in general but the written media[ newsprint] is clearly, and in fact openly, right wing

jambalaya
    Free Member

Does that take into account all VAT that a low earner likely spends as a proportion of income?

Absolutely yes. In fact there’s another myth

The poor pay more in VAT as a proportion of their income

There is no VAT on food, rent and reduced rates on energy. The campaign groups that spout this nonsense twist the calculation to exclude food, rent etc and just look at additional discretionary spending. I’ve been enough of an anorak to do my own calculations and the less well off par far less VAT as a proportion than the majority, you have to get to the very wealthy who are saving a lot of money each year before the myth is true.

As I haves posted numerous times there is 5-10% VAT on food in most EU countries even in France which is far to the left of us

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Bullshit that has become true through repetition’ is closed to new replies.