Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Bulls – should I be worried? (city boy content)
  • Tinners

The mountain that I ride on a regular basis has suddenly become occupied by a large herd of around 30 or so black cows/bulls. I always presumed that the ones with horns were bulls and gave them a large berth, but this afternoon there was one massive one stood defiantly in the middle of them that looked quite different to the rest. He looked as if he'd been down the gym and pumped full of steroids. You could tell he was a bull because you could see the sun glinting off his b****cks from half a mile away and he had a ring through his nose. There's no cover – it's open moorland, so if he decided to go for me I'd be pulverised in no time, although I'd probably break a few land speed records in the process. The only rideable/walkable bit is through the middle of them. Should I avoid the area or carry on as before? There is public right of way and a *cough* public footpath through the middle of them (where I would normally *cough* push *cough* my bike). Are all bulls dangerous?

ahwiles
    Free Member

he's fine, he's surrounded by ladies, he's quite literally shagged out and happy.

just don't get between him and his girls, cos then he might see you as a rival trying to sneak a move in while he's napping.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It's the cows you want to worry about.

donsimon
    Free Member

Are all bulls dangerous?

Nah!

Tinners

I need to get between his girls to get past. I obviously wouldn't try anything (I'm a married man). He seemed quite laid back about it, in that he just looked at me, but I don't know whether there's any kind of behavior or worrying body language to look out for as I weave my way through his harem – snorting and stamping the feet being an obvious one that I would immediately recognize as bad news time. I also – seriously – wear a red cycling jersey (running shirt, actually, but you get the idea). I presume the "red" issue is just a myth?

big-chief-96
    Free Member

usualy there as soft as pig sh*t. I'v had experiences where I have had to physically lean against a bull and with all more force try and push it out of the way. You can tell weather it'll be trouble or not pretty much immediately follow your gut. If in doubt though leave him be and don't go near him or his ladies.

Also your on a bike, you can go downhill a **** lot faster than he can and you'll probably end up improving your skills tremendously. (if you survive)

General change of posture, nostrils flare etc. etc. you should watch out for, you'll know if he's dangerous

ahwiles
    Free Member

red doesn't attract bulls – they're colour blind*

(*not strictly true, just don't bother asking one to help you pick out a nice pastel for the bathroom)

porter_jamie

presence of horns is not indication of whether it is a bull or not. they generally cut off the horns of dairy cattle to make the job a bit safer.

The way to tell if it is a bull – as you say it will look like it is on steriods, and have pods the size of footballs.

Rule of thumb: (edit add, i've been told!)

if the bull is a 'dairy' bull, run away as fast as you can.

if the bull is a 'beef' bull, you will (probably) be ok.

They put beef cattle and a bull in my local park, and all sorts of people walk through there, and i dont think anyone has died yet.

Dairy – limosin / charolais – all white, or holstein fresian – black/white
    Beef – hereford, brown and white

If in doubt, run away.

the poster is not resonsible for any injury caused by the content of this post…

BluePalomino
    Free Member

seriously… bulls are an unknown quantity (as are cows with calves). You certainly wouldn't want to be in a small area with one, a large field is a lot safer but they can go rhino if they feel that that you are a territorial issue 🙂 Stay out of his way. Occasionally antisocial farmers do let bulls graze across public footpaths; to which i would suggest leaving any gates onto the path open. Tends to re-focus the farmer toward more secure grazing 🙂

Drac

Is there many dead cyclists lying around the field?

donsimon
    Free Member

I often ride through or walk the dog through fields with bulls or cows (and calves). The bulls are generally treated with respect and given a wide berth trying not to do anything that will spook them. Cows with calves can get quite protective and aggressive towards the dog.
    I would also imagine that if the farmer knows the bull is dangerous, they wouldn't put it in a field with a footpath. I wouldn't assume that to be true though.

Naranjada
    Free Member

as the son of an ex beef cattle breeder i'd say that you should be ok as long as a) you don't get too near him b) don't get between and amongst him and his girls c) don't spook or surprise him. like most animals they get aggressive when scared or threatened. over a short distance they can move surprisingly quickly. there should be only 1 bull in the group, easily spotted by the size of his muscly ass and his massive knackers! the farmer shouldn't put a dangerous bull in a field where there's a footpath.

personally i'm concerned about the farmer's reaction if he sees you cycling the fp through his stock …could you outrun a quad bike?

moo!

Tinners

Forgot to add that there are a smattering of young calves amongst them too and you have to sort of weave around them all to get past. The cattle are all stood on the "footpath" bit where the ground is firm and ride able. Either side it's very soft and wouldn't generally be considered ride able, with the obvious exception of having a charging bull a few inches off my back wheel.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

General advice. If you ever have a dog with you let it off the lead. The bull should go for the dog and the dog will get away but if he goes for you, good luck

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Where abouts is this and i'll come with my video camera.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I frikkin hate cows and bulls and horses and come to mention it anything with 4 legs to be honest.

Avoid like the plague is my advice :mrgreen:

OllyUK
    Free Member

@ Porter_jamie, charolias and limosins are both beef breeds.
    Limosins are renowned for being the most wild/agressive cattle so I am always slightly more cautious of them. They're golden/red coloured with no markings.

Cows with calves are the most dangerous so obviously it's not a good idea to weave through them and separate calves from cows.
    It's just a matter of common sense and reading the signs, bulls can be big softies.

foxyrider
    Free Member

🙄

From a vet. Don't trust any bovine esp with calves. More people are injured by female cows than bulls (me included) but probably because there are more female cows than bulls 😉 However most are prob OK esp if they are allowed in the open by the farmer. If its esp nasty it'll prob be in a burger by now 😉

Tinners

Funnily enough, it was the ones with horns (that I thought were bulls, but were probably cows) that were the most "twitchy" – in that they got up from lying down as I approached them. The calves were also stood next to these. Meanwhile, although he looked quite fearsome, Billy B***cks stood there quite calmly. Has anyone on here outsprinted a cow on a bike? If the worst came to the worst, I've got about half a mile of open moorland before I reach a very steep descent. If I've got a 20 yards headstart, how realistic is it for me to get away? (Apologies if this sounds like a GSCE maths question). If it helps, I'm on a Trek Fuel EX, running Jones ACX pumped up enough to make the bead sit in the tubeless rim nicely (I'm guessing about 120psi). I'm assuming that the bull, being the most muscular, is going to be faster than the cows.

Tinners

Thanks Muddypuddle, that sounds like very sensible advice. I'll do just that from now on.

hora
    Free Member

Our dog once went into a field and laid down next to a herd of cows (also laying down) – no calfs thankfully. No matter what he wouldn't comeback!

Tinners

My wife tells me that a man was killed not far from where I live last year having been trampled by cows whilst out walking his dog (in a place called St Fagans, for those that know it, not in the area I described above). Spooked me out a bit, having read some of the knowledgeable comments above. Reminds me to be careful and treat these animals with respect. It's a wide berth from me from now on (not that I was provocative in the past, mind you, just trying to get past).

nickc

Bear in mind folks that cows and bulls are used to seeing humans. 99% of the time, you'll be fine.

timber

Most stuff has been covered.

So my 2 pence is that all cows understand the alkythene pipe.

Bulls are pretty calm animals, had to walk a mates back from St Ives after someone left a gate open on the coast path and it wandered into town, looked a lot more intimidating than it was down the small streets.

Woody
    Free Member

I'm on a Trek Fuel EX, running Jones ACX pumped up enough to make the bead sit in the tubeless rim nicely (I'm guessing about 120psi).

PMSL – are they at that pressure specifically for bull (out)running? And I would change the bike, grazing cattle are notorious for their luddite nature, with gears and bounce literally having the same effect as a red rag 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

Tinners – they normally have Welsh Blacks up on the Garth. They're pretty soft, but as said above, very curious, especially the youngsters: bullocks, steers and heifers. Quite often they'll run at you. Best thing to do is stand your ground and make like you're bigger.

Tinners

rkk01 – Yes, it was the Garth.

Quite often they'll run at you. Best thing to do is stand your ground and make like you're bigger.

Crikey, I think I'd better pack some immodium in my rucksack…….

dave360

How can you tell if a cow is welsh? Best advice is the same as if finding yourself in shark infested water. Stay calm. Actually that's f@cking useless advice. There's a very interesting and informative video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJAVe57yH-o
    Just substitute bull for bear and you're good to go.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I've been chased by a folk of goats… that doesnt sound right… whats the collective noun for goats ?

I rode pass a thicket of bushes and heard something move, thats sounds quite big I thought to myself, then 20 or so goats ran out towards me. Luckily it was summer and the ground was hard, think I may have struggled to out run them on softer ground. I got to the gate 300 yards away with my heart pounding through excitement more than fear and looked back. The biggest of the brutes was launching himself off a bench and butting his mate standing on the ground as if to say to me "came back here and this is what you'll get"

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, I know the Garth.

There are often cattle on the Rhymney Ridgeway just after the Quarry. I always take it slowly but carefully, and I tend to think they must be pretty used to cyclists there.

It's a herd of goats, btw.

higgo
    Free Member

I've been chased by a folk of goats… that doesnt sound right… whats the collective noun for goats ?

It is a 'trip' of goats.

Woody
    Free Member

Maybe farmers should have a similar warning for cows and bulls

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

We get a lot of

and

on one of our routes (Mmumoshweu area).

glenp
    Free Member

"Are you the farmer?"

"We've come on holiday by mistake. We're not from London."

Trekster

Simpless. Never ever trust a bull, no matter what colour.
    We used to use a tractor to bring the bull in from the feild. Some days he would be docile as anything, next day he would be charging the tractor. No farmer, vet or anyone who works with farm animals takes them for granted.

Do not approach cows with calves.

If you must, stop, monitor the situation and proceed slowly on foot trying not to spook herd. Cows lying down will get up, have a look around and be OK. If you just crash through then you risk said cows being startled and careering all over the place and causing herd to do same.

Having worked on farms till my late teens and being used to working with cows, sheep, pigs etc I no longer trust any cow in a feild.
    There is something weird about them nowadays, to many drugs being injected, too much inbreeding, genetic modifying methinks!!!

Have a word with the local ROW officer re legality of having a bull in a feild that has a ROW through it. No need to mention bikes 😉

Like this

Xylene
    Free Member

Do you have these on your bike? If so then you might be seen as a threat coming to do his girls.

toys19
    Free Member

My father is a vet, his work is 70% dairy. Over the last 40 years he has lost a few of his clients to bulls, on his advice I give them a very wide berth – like the next field..

neninja
    Free Member

Cows and bullocks make me nervous after a couple of run ins with them this summer on bridleways.

Got cornered in a field by about 15-20 bullocks who kept running at me and kicking their back legs out at me. The field was surrounded with dense hawthorns so no way out – had to edge round to the gate waving a jacket above my head to make myself look bigger, shouting, clapping and swinging the bike in front to keep them back. Took about 15 mins to get out of the field and certainly got the old adrenaline going.

The other run in involved cows with a calves that took offence to me and a mate being in their field – we literally had to throw the bikes over a fence and follow them over.

It's certainly pretty intimidating when 1/2 tonne of cow gets aggressive.

Bunnyhop

In the 'V' graphics 'White Peak' guide book, there is a picture of myself and nbt riding past a rather large bull. The photographer was standing safely on the other side of the hill shouting orders across to us on how to ride that bit of trail for a decent photo.
    I was really quite scared. On the way back I dragged the bike up a rather steep bank to be as high and away from the beast as possible.

Trimix
    Free Member

Take a mate with you next time, then all you have to do to be safe is out run your mate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Bulls – should I be worried? (city boy content)’ is closed to new replies.