Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Bull in field – do you (A) Proceed with caution…
  • robz400
    Free Member

Had this happen last night!

We were riding across the flagged areas of the MOD land in Pirbright (flags down) and came across a group of cows with calves on the narrow path.

Got past slowly – went round the corner and there were two calves and two cows….

We both stopped pretty quick when we saw that one of the ‘cows’ was a muscley bugger with massive balls and a raging erection!!

We stood very still until it moved away and then crept past to the fence… scary but the bull didnt seem at all interested.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its the women you have to watch…

ninfan
    Free Member

Just talk to them and let them have a sniff

makes all the difference, seriously!

Stoner
    Free Member

Its the women you have to watch…

Just talk to them and let them have a sniff

soobalias
    Free Member

so why are dairy bulls dangerous but beefy ones not so much?

benp1

Cos the beefy ones know they might get eaten if they’re naughty?

Spin
    Free Member

Cos the beefy ones know they might get eaten if they’re naughty?

None of them ever bother me. They sense I’m a vegetarian, do the bovine equivalent of tipping their hat and let me pass.

All very civilised.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

This year when walking in Cornwall, we took a footpath through a cow field and met a herd of Freisans, they were all female, and became quite agitated by our presence, forming a bit of a gang and running towards us. It wasn’t until we nearly tripped over one of their calves in the long grass that we realised the reason for it and gave them plenty of room. I kept my air of cool manliness to impress the Mrs, but I was a little concerned sh*tting myself.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Dairy bulls are the yobs of the bull world. they are all “Phwaaar! look at the udders on that, I’m going to go get me a pieace of that”. Beef bulls are more self confident in a subtle way. They saunter up to their cows. Wow them with their knowledge of french grass and poetry.

mcj78
    Free Member

TBH I thought it had udders at first – then I realized it was a big mental set of bull conkers 😳

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I came across that bull legislation the other day but I was searching about aggressive cows ! Got a field of young Jersey cows(I think) with a public FP running through middle. Tried to cross few weeks back and had the dog with me (on lead) but as soon as we got near the gate to enter the field about 20 descended on it and wouldn’t let us pass, I though it was quite interesting as never had this happen before and they were obsessed with the dog. Anyway was out running with the dog last week tried to go through the same field and the cows were quite away from the gate so we entered and started to run through field to the other side (dog on lead) and the cows just legged it towards us bloody loads of em ! It turned out to be a race between me/dog and the cows who could get to the other gate first. It was a close call they were only a few yards back and had me worried to the point I picked up a big stick that was lying on the floor just in case. They didn’t give a shit I stopped a few times shouting loudly at them but this did nothing to frighten them. I got to the gate and safety there was a couple with a border collie that also wanted to go through the field and had witnessed everything who stood there with mouths wide open ! I told them the cows are after the dog (I presume) and didn’t give a shit. They decided to go another way :-). I filmed the original encounter http://youtu.be/kquwQGlbPy0 even with the dog nipping at them they wouldn’t move

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

AFAIK

beef bulls – generally couldn’t care less about you
    dairy bulls, bad tempered – avoid
    heffers with calves – give a wide berth

none of them like dogs or kids

older calves can get kind of frisky and playful, and are very inquisitive, and weigh a ton…

had me worried to the point I picked up a big stick that was lying on the floor just in case

that should stop them

not

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Came across as I was searching on google https://www.thebmc.co.uk/taking-care-around-cows

carbonfiend
    Free Member

that should stop them

not

“Alright cows you might take me but first one gets it”

chiefgrooveguru

This is quite a good article:

http://www.farmandranchguide.com/feature/livestock_guide/a-good-reminder-never-trust-a-bull/article_25901922-927e-11e3-8ab6-001a4bcf887a.html

The issue seems to be that beef bulls generally know they’re cattle, whilst dairy bulls have had much more contact with humans and thus want to assert their dominance over any ‘fellow humans’ they see. If they do a ‘broadside’, be worried!

Stevet1
    Free Member

whilst dairy bulls have had much more contact with humans

AI?

anagallis_arvensis

Jesus christ on a bike you let your ratty little dog to try and bite the noses of some cows and post it on ewetube then come on here and complain about agressive cows. Are you actually mental?

Andy-R

If you’d just walked thorough the field, and didn’t have your dog snapping at them, they wouldn’t have bothered you – ok, they might have come up and sniffed at you and even slobbered on you but they wouldn’t have harmed you.
    Just talk to them and behave as if you have every right to be there I.e not running away from them as otherwise,being inquisitive, they’ll just run after you.

jumble
    Free Member

Are you really saying “give it to them” at the beginning of the clip?

You have a bunch of animals together in close proximity (one of which is yours) and you think that this is a good strategy? Do you understand that people have been killed crossing cow fields with dogs. Please be safe.

porter_jamie

cycled through a field with a bull in the white peak on tuesday. it was massive. it looked very chilled out and just sat there minding his own business. we pedalled on quick and got out of the way – we had a dog with us too. he was with his ladies though and didn’t move an inch. we saw another one later in a field when drove past in the van, it still had it’s horns and was about the size of a reasonably sized car. monster.

on another note, apparently some people actually believe if it’s got horns it’s a bull. really?

singletrackmind

I almost hit a load of calfs on my way to work. They were out of their feild and all over the road.
    Another motorist got them in a feild, but there was no gate .
    I tried to herd them into another feild of cows.

It didnt go well.

Managed to get 1 group of cows away ish from the gate. Sort of got the calfs near the gate and tried to get the calfs in with the bigger cows.

There was alot of moo-ing , and quite alot of poo . Big land mines of cow poo all over . With some pushing and shoving got the gate open and stepped into a land mine of freash turd.
    By now the big cows are making a bid for victory by joining the baby ones in thhe road.

All I did was compound the problem , with a foot covered in steaming turd.

Now there is a mini stampead up the lane with the big cows leading the small cows on a rampage . It is nothing like Countryfile and more like a Carry On film .

I shut the gate , and used the standard tactic of running away before anyone finds out .

jimjam
    Free Member

porter_jamie

on another note, apparently some people actually believe if it’s got horns it’s a bull. really?

I wouldn’t be surprised if some people believed chicken nuggets grew on trees.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Bull in field – do you (A) Proceed with caution…’ is closed to new replies.