Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bulgaria skiing
  • piemonster

So Bulgaria looks cheap. Is it any good?

Beginner end of the market.

fasthaggis

Fantastic.
    We went to Pamporova and it was perfect for my son (beginner).
    Very cheap and the snow was excellent.
    The driving is really mad though, and had me thinking about it again while reading the A9 thread on here 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For a beginner yes. I’ve taken my family there for the past 3 years and its ideal. Though it is very cheap compared with the Alps, its still an expensive do though whichever way you look at it. But don’t expect a nice polished resort like you get in the Alps. It seems to be very much still under development and a bit rougher and ready. I’ve taken the family to Bansko the past 3 years. The actual skiing is pretty good though limited, with good infrastructure out on the mountain and nice huts and the ski coaches are very good. Certainly in Bansko if you talk to the locals then the snow is very consistent and the current warm spell with lack of snow through December and into early Jan is unprecedented. Indeed the snow they’ve had over the last 2 years is some of the best snow i’ve skid in all my 17 years of Alps skiing. I went this year in early Jan and it was pretty dire though, as it has been in a lot of the lower resorts in the Alps, but they’ve had a lot of snow since and opened up more of the resort.

We tend to eat off the main tourist roads in the smaller Mexana’s and they serve very good food, lots of it and six of us (2 kids, 4 adults) were struggling to spend £40 all in for a slap up meal with drinks. Even on the main tourist streets eating at nice hotel restaurants you’re looking at no more than UK high street chain restaraunt prices. A far cry from the financial raping you get in some of the Alps resorts. The Bulgarian food is robust and rustic – lots of meaty kebabs and stew type food, but it is delicious and good quality. Not sure how much of it is Horse or Donkey meat, but even if it is better quality Horse or Donkey meat we get in our food – I guess its like the French with their wine – they keep the choice stuff for themselves. But seriously, the food is of very good quality with a lot of the Mexana’s being family run so rely on their reputations.

Its certainly worth considering for beginners.

CheesybeanZ

As above , plus on a personal note smoking seems to be the national hobby and they smoke everywhere bars restaurant , taxis .

fasthaggis

Oh yeah, I forgot about the chain smoking in restaurants 🙄

OP
    If you don’t already have one ,you may want to consider growing a large moustache in a Tom Selleck stylie. They were all the rage 🙂

piemonster

Ooh, the smoking might be an issue. Otherwise sounds about right.

I’m slightly amused by the gap between what the GF thinks is an acceptable amount to spend on a holiday and what I consider acceptable.

My response was “you want to spend £**** on 7 days holiday. **** off”

I don’t think it helped I spent 6 months in the French Pyrenees for the same amount. And came home with change and a borderline drink problem.

£**** for 7 days, for ***** sake. She’s even offering to pay. Mind you, I whinge when booking a night in a YHA.

piemonster

If you don’t already have one ,you may want to consider growing a large moustache in a Tom Selleck stylie. They were all the rage

Bulgaria FTW

Hoff

Have been to Bansko a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Looks like they’ve recently had some much needed snow. Great place for beginners. Smoking is now banned in pubs. Can send you a few links / contacts if you’re interested & want to book it yourself. Have a look at Bansko Blog Gives a pretty good overview

CheesybeanZ

Have you looked at Andorra , award winning Ski school , stunning views and plenty of piste .

piemonster

Yeh, Andorra is on the radar. As are a couple of Italian and Austrian resorts. Although Are(Sweden) has popped up too, but that’s a tie in with Swedish friends option.

It might be a case of last minute booking where the snow is good. Or at least reasonable.

grum
    Free Member

If you go to a smaller resort in Austria it’s pretty cheap. Some people in our chalet on our last trip to France went to Bansko and hated it – said the queues were horrendous.

Booking last minute is the way to go IMO – we’ve had great snow every year for the last few years doing that (and cheap deals).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bulgaria skiing’ is closed to new replies.