Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Built up my CRC Curtis
  • wwaswas

and very pleased with it.

The ‘ride it to the kids school and back’ test shows it’s springy (with those thin stays it’s not a surprise) but not wibbly.

Off road tonight and I’ll see if I like it with 140mm forks (make it a degree slacker than advertised according to my iphone app) or whether I’ll drop them to 120 – certainly doesn’t feel too slow or like it wants to tuck under when turning so may well leave it.

The drop outs are lovely.

(sorry about the leaves)

messiah
    Free Member

That is a bike of beauty, enjoy 😉

Vortexracing

Very nice indeed

Houns

*approves*

float
    Free Member

that looks nice. i almost bought one for the saving, but really couldnt justify another steel hardtail when i love the one ive got already.

honourablegeorge

Damn. That is lovely.

I always wanted a Curtis, and when the sale popped up I had a set of wheels and a set of Pikes spare. Dunno how I resisted, to be honest, but I managed to sell the Pikes and wheels and not buy the frame.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Got my S1 built – definitely needs some bouncey forks on it…

wwaswas

I got a surprise when I came to rust proof it – I’ve never had a brazed frame before – they don’t have holes for gases to escape (they’re even sealed where the tubes mitre together) so nowhere to get the waxoyl in except the seat tube top and the bottle mounts on the seat and downtubes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Did you find the seat-tube insert thing made the post insertion pretty tight??

hora
    Free Member

Darn I should have got one of those Curtis frames!

wwaswas

DBW – not really, quite ‘snug’ – had to open the seatclamp a bit to get it over the seat tube and then push the shim in afterwards but the Thomson will still slide down under the weight of the saddle if the clamp’s not done up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How light heavy is the frame?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yummy

wwaswas

not weighed it myself – crc reckoned 4.15lbs / 2.25kgs – my arm says ‘a bit less than an old skool Inbred’.

woodsman
    Free Member

Nice!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My arm said a fair bit lighter than my Love/Hate I was holding in my other hand.

Yetiman
    Free Member

That’s lovely 8)

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Very Nice. Wish they’d had an S1 in my size 🙁

crc reckoned 4.15lbs / 2.25kgs

4.15lbs is 1.88kg though?!

wwaswas

so it is.

well it’s either 4.15lb or 4.96lb depending on if you believe in the metric system or not.

No, I’m not taking it apart to weigh the frame 🙂

Just weighed the complete bike on my Aldi ‘fisherfolk’ scales and they say ‘one at a time please’ or 25.5lb which is probably about right I think, based on my other bikes.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Skinny Skinny!

yum

jfeb
    Free Member

Very nice indeed.

ruffrider

Really lovely looking bike, quality build too by the looks of it – no wonder you’re pleased.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I like that. Nice one.

Markie
    Free Member

Wow. A great looking bike, in spite of having more fork than I will ever need! 😉

fenred
    Free Member

Eye candy..White saddle though please 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Proper British made frame – love it

empy
    Free Member

not many frames I’d swap for my Soul – but that’s one….

Taff
    Free Member

FIT

Candodavid
    Free Member

Had my Custom 853 nearly 3 years and still love it.
    Stays on 853 are even more pencil like and ultra comfy

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh my…….

psychle
    Free Member

What frame is that guv? I went with a medium ‘Freeride 140’ in black, hope it looks as good as yours! It’s waiting for me in Australia for when we get back in 3 weeks, looking forward to it! 😀

cookeaa

Have to say you can’t beat a Curtis, that looks bob on…

I’m very tempted to trade my BMX in for a Red Trail boss frame ATM 8)

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

how much where they doing that frame for in the sale?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

200 quid!

_tom_
    Free Member

Nice, very clean looking frame 🙂

wwaswas

It’s the XC120 frame (I think the freeride is the same except for some extra gussets at the front?).

Went out on the Downs and into Stanmer woods to join up with the Brighton MTB ride last night.

Some bikes you just seem to ‘click’ with – I can’t express how pleased I am with this – it just feels spot on.

I’m running a 140mm fork with a fair bit of sag so I suspect it’s no taller than a lot of 120’s – certainly the front end didn’t wander on climbs (even locked out) or try and tuck in on slow stuff. I’m not that hard or heavy a rider so I’m not too worried about exceeding the nominal travel the frames designed for so I’ll probably stick with it.

I’ve got a Decade versa I run singlespeed with the same model forks (at 120mm) and the Curtis feels similar (a very good thing – the Decade is a great frame) although the Curtis does have a bit more spring at the back but also more stiffness at the front, if that makes sense – it seemed to skip across wet roots.

Just really glad I took a gamble with not much research and with some doubts as to the published geometry, tbh.

psychle
    Free Member

how much where they doing that frame for in the sale?

£152 inc free delivery to Australia!! Un-be-fookin-lievable!! 8)

Thanks for the review wwaswas, really looking forward to getting mine built up now 😀

dizcostix
    Free Member

yep, lurvly bike and good review. Looking forward to getting my 853 xc100 built up now too – ill post some pics this weekend!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Built up my CRC Curtis’ is closed to new replies.