Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Built my new bike at the weekend..
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Have been riding a Klein Palomino for the last 4 years which I loved to bits, and when I test rode a few newer bikes of a similar ilk (but with 5" of travel) such as the Santa Cruz Blur LT and Orange 5, I got back on the Klein and loved it even more!

As the Klein was a licensed version of the Maverick design, I set my heart on a Durance, but they are like hen's teeth in the UK so I have ended up with a rather lovely ML7/5. It is the hard anodised finish and although 2 years old, has been ridden a handful of times and is absolutely immaculate.

Took the opportunity to treat myself to some shiny new bits so the spec will be as follows:

Maverick ML7/5 frame
    Maverick DUC32 fork
    Bontrager Race Lite/Maverick front wheel
    XT rear hub with Mavic XC717 rim
    Maxxis High Roller XC kevlar tyres
    Hope Mono M4 brakes
    XTR shifters
    Carbon XTR rear mech
    XT Hollowtech 2 chainset
    XT SPDs
    Easton EA70 bars
    Maverick Speedball remote adjustable seatpost
    Selle Italia SLR XC saddle
    Race Face lock-on grips

Got 'Baldrick' (Mavericks all have names rather than serial numbers!) built on Saturday and am mightily impressed so far. Only pic I have so far is this one:

Already managed to come off it sadly with a rather schoolboy error. Was giving it 110% on the middle ring, out of the saddle up a hill out of my village (off road thankfully) and the next thing I know I am head first towards the deck to end up with my ankle through the frame and my knee jammed between the bars and top tube.

Look back and see my chain about 5 metres behind the bike.

Only damage was a scuff the saddle and a rather bruised knee, but that'll teach me to not be concentrating properly when joining my chain!

Off to Afan this weekend so looking forward to putting it through its paces properly.

Will post some more pics up when I get 5.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I like that. Very nice.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I like the conviction of those. The aesthetics as such are still horrifying. 😀

jackal
    Free Member

Got 'Baldrick' (Mavericks all have names rather than serial numbers!)

8)

BluePalomino
    Free Member

I still don't like the change to the bendy seatpost.
    Out of interest though – would the rear triangle & shock from your ML7/5 fit onto your palomino? or are they identical?

cp

that seat must feel weird when you drop it!

nice bike though 🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I don't think the rear end would fit on the Palomino as looking at my side by side photos, the shock appears to be longer. Could be mistaken though!

The seat feels fine when dropped – I have had to install the seatpost the 'wrong way' round as the SLR flexes a lot and I found myself inadvertently pressing the lever when I sat down, but I actually think it looks better this way round due to the angle of the seat tube.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Built my new bike at the weekend..’ is closed to new replies.