Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Built my 1st pergola…
  • stevied
    Free Member

Rather chuffed with myself at the moment, I’ve done all the hard work and built our new pergola.
    Never done any building/construction type stuff before so it’s taken a while but the structure is up and solid.
    Just need to do some tidying up, fill a few gaps and put the roof on…and guttering etc

thepurist

<pedant>

Actually that’d most likely be an arbor, not a pergola. Pergolas are generally structures that span paths and are intended to be walked through, whereas arbors are structures you sit under. Yes I know you can walk through that one and the terms are often used interchangeably, but this is STW and we have standards to uphold!

</pedant>

PS – lawn needs reseeding, patio needs clearing of algae/moss and where’s the bike?

DT78
    Free Member

What are you going to roof it with? I have a similar…. Pergola…..in my garden but not roofed

footflaps

Looks really good.

Out of curiosity, were you encouraged to have a go by all the DIY threads on STW?

stevied
    Free Member

PS – lawn needs reseeding, patio needs clearing of algae/moss and where’s the bike?

It was very wet when I did it so walking around/carrying big sticks has given the lawn a bit of a beating. Will be re-seeded when all done. Patio will also be properly cleaned. Bike in garage covered in sawdust 🙁
    #DT: 10mm twin wall polycarb in bronze. http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/cut-to-size-twinwall-polycarbonate-opal-bronze-p-234.html Like this but have found a cheaper supplier, can’t remember the name now

stevied
    Free Member

~footflaps: thanks 🙂 No, it’s been on the ‘to do’ list for a while. Finally got the money together to do it..

Stoner
    Free Member

nice. Get yourself a hammock and some anchors for it. This is where I spend summer evenings with a cold cider: did it spring before last. Two Wisteria are well on their way to filling in the roof now. Should be able to train leaders across the top this summer.

Might put a vine in a large pot at one end too.

Now have some roses coming up the barn walls as well. Must get a picture this summer when they are out.
    [img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-frR1FHeUsOE/Th3FzvMCGxI/AAAAAAAAAU8/HXFx7mT1VgA/s640/P1010028.JPG[/img]

stevied
    Free Member

Very nice Stoner. Looks like 3 counties area?

Stoner
    Free Member

further along.

RoterStern
    Free Member

For thepurist

A pergola, arbor or arbour is a garden feature forming a shaded walkway, passageway or sitting area of vertical posts or pillars that usually support cross-beams and a sturdy open lattice, often upon which woody vines are trained. As a type of gazebo, it may also be an extension of a building, or serve as protection for an open terrace or a link between pavilions.
    😉

stevied
    Free Member

Ah, so it is a pergola 🙂

in your face ‘thepurist’… 😆

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I love a building thread.

Here’s a hexagonal variation.

thepurist

Back atcha stevied 🙂 Here’s some webby stuff to back up the best part of a decade designing gardens for a living…
    o

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lazylandscaping/g/pergola.htm

What is the difference between an Arbour and a Pergola?

http://m.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-pergola-and-an-arbor.htm

Top work all round folks.

tymbian
    Free Member

Here’s a couple of pics of my first pergola which I built last year for someone

18 foot span between front posts, 12′ posts 9″ x 9″. Very heavy. Knee braces all recessed mortice & tenon jointed & pegged a la timber-frame. Beams are 22′ 9″ x 3″

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/tymbian/Bespoke%20softwood%20Pergola/IMAG0243_zpsbfc58d69.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5Dnull

All beam & rafter tails cut to the golden ratio…

footflaps

Knee braces all recessed mortice & tenon jointed & pegged a la timber-frame.

very nice touches.

I fancy having a go at this once I’ve finally finished the workshop off……

AlexSimon

Nice one! There’s nothing quite like the feeling of tackling something completely new like this and getting a result.

stevied
    Free Member

That’s a lovely job tymbian. Well Jell 😉

stevied
    Free Member

#thepurist: This seems to go against your thoughts (from your link 😯 )

Another difference between a pergola and an arbor is seating arrangement: an arbor often features a bench on which visitors can rest and find protection from inclement weather, while a pergola can cover an entire area designed for seating, a table, or other types of arrangements. Pergolas sometimes cover patio areas and offer shade from sunlight, and chairs and tables can be set up on the patio underneath the pergola to form a comfortable and attractive shelter. An arbor is much smaller and only allows only one or two people to sit beneath it at one time, as it is meant as a temporary shelter only.

😆

deadslow

I am surprised that we have failed to establish whether the OP’s cooking equipment under cover is gas outdoor cooker or ‘proper’ BBQ. I think we need to know!

stevied
    Free Member

Sadly it’s an outdoor cooker :

deadslow

Oh well, at least its hidden! 🙂

thepurist

Dagnabbit!

<gritted teeth>

Nice pergola stevied.

</gritted teeth>

djglover
    Free Member

won’t you block out your light when stuff grows over it?

ransos
    Free Member

I trained a vine over mine: you get shade in high summer (if we ever get one) but the light is let through for the other three seasons. I think it’s ideal.

stevied
    Free Member

That one will be coming down and be replaced with some nice* lighting which the wife has yet to choose.

thepurist: :mrgreen: why, thankyou..

*it might be nice in her eye, I may hate it..

tymbian
    Free Member

@ stevied..nice work. It’s a great feeling standing back and looking at a finished project eh? Bet your still doing it.

Those twin-walled polycarbonate roofing sheets are a good idea and they will help structurally when it snows..( don’t underestimate the weight of 6 or 8 inches of snow ).

Have you got any flashing planned for the brick & roof junction? ( think about the rain splasing up off the roof onto the brickwork ) flashing will provide a bit of protection as well as stopping water running past the roof and down the wall.

stevied
    Free Member

@tymbian. Thanks mate, yeah, still keep going back in the garden to have a look at my handiwork…lol.
    Am planning on using some flashing as recommended. Will paint it all up, get the roof on, then do the flashing 🙂
    The list of things to do just goes on and on but I’m enjoying it..

donks
    Free Member

How very topical….I was thinking of knocking up some kind of pergola in the back yard….nothing on Stoner’s scale mind just something to tidy up the unused bit of the garden and to show how sad I am these days I did a sketch up.

stevied
    Free Member

So, after what seems like ages, the pergola is pretty much finished. I know some of you will probably hate it as it’s not wood coloured and has a proper roof but…
    the house is only a few years old and the idea of the pergola is to extend the downstairs area as it’s quite small. I found a colour that’s very close to the paint in the kitchen so, when you walk in, it does look like part of the house rather than an add-on. We also wanted to be able to use it lots and with our rubbish summers the roof was necessary.
    Just need to get a water butt, finish the guttering and hang the pendant heater..
    Rather proud of myself :mrgreen:

AlexSimon

Looks very practical 🙂
    What’s the roof material?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Did you reseed the lawn and clean the patio because someone on here told you to? Or had you always planned to do it?

qwerty
    Free Member

Aye, any glass in that roof, above the door & window mebbe?

stevied
    Free Member

What’s the roof material?

10mm Polycarbonate twin wall.

Did you reseed the lawn and clean the patio because someone on here told you to?

Always on the ‘to do’ list..

any glass in that roof?

No glass, just bronze polycarb..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Woodwork looks good – what did you use, ‘Garden Shades’?

AlexSimon

What’s the gutter draining into?

stevied
    Free Member

~sharkbait: yes, country cream

~AS:

Just need to get a water butt, finish the guttering

tho currently into the border 😳

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Built my 1st pergola…’ is closed to new replies.