Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Building with Natural Timber
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

Following on from some of the threads about sheds etc, does anyone have any experience building with natural un-cut tree limbs and boughs?

I’m thinking about using some of the cut trees in my wood to build a simple roof structure, a sort of natural gazebo…

Anyone got any links for inspiration and advice on jointing, roofing methods etc?

Stoner
    Free Member

Im planning something similar in the coppice using straight poplar cords, but Im expecting it to be horribly difficult and shrinkage to cause all sorts of problems when I do – so I shall hide it in the undergrowth where no one else can see it …

…I will also probably try and do it in 18-24 months time and let some of the fresh felled poplar dry out a bit before use.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve got the remnants of a very strangled (tall and straight) chestnut that I felled last year, plus some big hazel boughs.

I’ve also got a decent sized ash than needs felling. I was thinking of something along these lines…

Linky

…but built with more useable space rather than being simply a place to sit…

Where’s McMoonter when you need him???

Stoner
    Free Member

mcmoonter is more a timber kind of guy (as am I usually).

I think slackalice is the guy with the knowledge on green stuff

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/green-timber-structures-any-experts-in-the-house

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner, that thread is great!

I’ve found something a bit more like I’m planning…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sorry guys, I was out snaffling logs. 😀

I’ve never built anything with green wood but I’ve seen some lovely examples where others have.

I saw some guys building an ambitious structure at the Monimail Tower Community in Letham, Fife. There is a lot of compromise as no two pieces of wood are the same.

I will try an find a link later.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thanks McMoonter! I knew you’d have some knowledge on the subject…

My first effort is going to be a woodworking workshop of sorts, possibly built in a space between some existing trees, so it could use 3-4 existing trunks as uprights and simply form a room slung between. So I’d be interested to hear if anyone has any advice on roping a structure to existing mature trees.

This project is to be a precursor/learning exercise before embarking on a far more ambitious summer house in the future. Possibly something along the lines of the Welsh Hobbit House…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Building with Natural Timber’ is closed to new replies.