Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Building visualization / rendering software
  • womp
    Free Member

We are looking to train some of our apprentices in building visualization / rendering

What are the recommended software packages ?

mikey74
    Free Member

It depends: Do you want a modelling/rendering package or purely a renderer?

Probably the most cost effective way is to get Sketchup Pro for modelling and a VRay bolt on for rendering.

mrben100
    Free Member

Artlantis?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Sketchup and Vray are amazing products and very affordable (and capable).

womp
    Free Member

yes modeling and rendering sorry

i did look at the sketchup and Vray but some comments online seem to point to it being a bit limited ?

After a little google 3ds max seems to get a few mentions but i must admit im struggling to navigate the autodesk site and make sense o all the products ?
    3ds max, 3ds max design, alias ?

i will take a look at Artlantis, thank you

cost is not a concern

fionap

SketchUp is limited in functionality and sophistication but useful for quick modelling / massing exercises.

It depends what your apprentices are going to be doing longer term, but I can’t see the point in training them to use any modelling software that isn’t BIM if they’re going to be doing the architectural/building modelling. Look at Revit or Aecosim.

mikey74
    Free Member

Sketchup is only really limited when it comes to curvilinear and organic forms.

It depends on your budget and requirements. Studio max is good but it costs over £3k.

Revit is too rigid and has too much functionality that you probably won’t use.

Archicad may be worth a look.

mrben100
    Free Member

fionap – Member
    SketchUp is limited in functionality and sophistication but useful for quick modelling / massing exercises.

It depends what your apprentices are going to be doing longer term, but I can’t see the point in training them to use any modelling software that isn’t BIM if they’re going to be doing the architectural/building modelling. Look at Revit or Aecosim.

Exactly this limits abortive/non-productive working. Depends on size of project though (i.e. how much fee you have to spend on the project.)

We use ArchiCAD by Graphisoft, if you do do a bit of research you’ll see why I mentioned Artlantis.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Building visualization / rendering software’ is closed to new replies.