Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Building up LB rims
  • MSP

How have people found the build process? I have heard that nipples can bind on the carbon and make building difficult.

gee
    Free Member

Very easy – built half a dozen.

bigjim

they bind a bit more than alu rims definitely, but not a problem. The thickness of the carbon seems to vary around the rim too. Also the sanding on the rims can be a bit uneven which is a bit misleading when looking for vertical wobbles. Apart from that because they are so stiff they are pretty easy.

scar4me
    Free Member

I’ve built multiple sets here too.
    I’d say they’re easier to work with than alu rims due to being naturally stiffer.
    You should also build them to a slightly higher spoke tension than alloy rims.
    (130-150kgf IIRC)

Personally I’ve had no issues with nipples bindling in the carbon.
    But I’ve only built them with bladed spokes, so you correct any binding as you build with the spoke holder.
    The majority of any binding forces will be within the thread of the spoke n nipple, so I’d always advise to use either linseed oil (oldskool), or spoke prep when you start building them.

If not using bladed spokes I’d also suggest the “past then back” technique where you tighten the nipple 1/4 turn past where you want, then back up 1/4 turn. This is the best way to get decent wheel builds that have less spoke creep so need less re-truing as time goes on as you’re removing the natural winding that occurs down the length of the spoke when tightening.

Scar
    P.s. My LB wheels have been going for 2+years straight without me touching a spoke once after building them!

Northwind

I haven’t done them myself but Steve Deas did all of mine and said they were really nice to build, no dramas.

njee20
    Free Member

Mine were fine, aside from spokes being too short. Can’t hold the rims responsible for that though!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Building up LB rims’ is closed to new replies.