Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Building up a touring bike for £500?
  • Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

where do I start?
    I am wanting something to ride for a month pretty much unsupported, being able to camp and carry two days worth of food.

I don't have a huge budget, so do you think second hand or new?

any personal experiences?

tang
    Free Member

you can buy my cotic roadrat which is set up for touring for £500! med/long flatbar build. mail in profile for details/pics

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Hi Tang – yep send me across some pics I would be interested to have a look

anyone else got any suggestions of things I should include and things to look out for?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, it's an odd suggestion, but I've just bought a Carrera Subway One. The bike cost £198 (Sale price + 10% extra off for reserving online) and as I'm using it as a commuter, it's a bit low geared so I changed the cranks, cassette, front mech and BB for about £50. I put an 11-28 cassetee and a £20 Truvative chainset on with 28/38/48 rings
    It's got all the braze ons you'll ever need, including front rack, it's a tough 7sp transmission, simple V-brakes and a solid MTB frame. Even the saddle is OK IMO. New racks and panniers, and a few other mods and you'll still have a NEW bike for under £400 all in, easy peasy.

It depends how your tour will go. I sold my Roadrat to get the Carerra, but only because I do a bit of offroad and it was battering the Cotic to bits. Too many punctures, too slow offroad.
    If you'll be on smooth roads all the time, a Road Rat will be fine, but MTB wheels and 1.5in tyres are tougher and more comfy on rougher stuff.

I'm planning on touring Deveon and Cornwall on the Carerra next summer, towing a trailer, with Mrs PP on her Trek commuter. It'll be fine for that but I'll probaly stick the original 22/32/42 cranks and 12-32 cassette back on for that.

Something to bear in mind.
    🙂

delstron
    Free Member

These folk will sort you out….
    http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=5

hairymechanic
    Free Member

Claud Butler Regent RRP £599.99

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/Corporate/ROAD/Regent.shtml

Might not be as "niche" as some others but it's got everything you need.

Blackhound

I was going to suggest a second hand Roadrat!

Mine is excellent and very adaptable. I have done a loaded tour of Ireland, travelled light between Berwick and Derby on Pennine cycle way, HoNC, commuting, winter training and even a time trial. Was going to do a cross race yesterday but was poorly and had to stay at home.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That Claud Butler is a nice bike, but it's no better specced then my £200 Carerra.
    The only thing that's any better really is an extra sprocket on the cassette.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

PP – thats a nice find and the sort of thing I'm after, I dont think I will be needing front and rear racks… just the back ones and a rucksac should do me fine… we'll see though!

I've had bad halfords experiences, so I'm staying away from carrera for that reason rather than any other, I'm sure they're decent bikes.

Blackhound

Chris,

Keep as much weight off your back as you can. Keep it on the rack or a bar bag. Its only when you ride without you really appreciate the advantage.

I used some Epic Designs stuff and used a 'race' type camelbak for a few light bits. For a longer tour front panniers may be better – though I have never needed them on my shortish tours.

GuyFox40
    Free Member

Can i interest you in a Kona Sutra with rear rack(and maybe panniers) for £600?

I've managed carrying all my camping gear and 2 days food in 2 panniers with a drybag on top of the rack for a 10 day trip

You going somewhere civilised or remote cos that might affect which type of tourer would be better. A cheap new one would be fine if you can get it fixed if need be but a quality 2nd hand one would suit a more remote trip as they are generally more reliable

lightman
    Free Member

If you like a challenge and dont mind to much about a little extra weight, then give Rob a call, and he could set you up with a Yuba Mundo for around £250 delivered, i got their project bike for £220, which included front Julie brake,front disc wheel and mud guards.
    Its getting painted at the moment, so should be a nice metallic blue when its finished.
    I got it for it price and the fact i shouldn't have any problems with rack bolts/wheels etc… breaking when touring, as im planning on doing on/off-road tours.
    This is the look im going for when its done, but dark blue and without the side bars.

Cant link to the one i bought, here's the link to the Flickr page.
    I got it without the saddle, bars and got black tyres.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Guy – send me an email with some pictures and details and have a look. I've been offered Tang's roadrat which seems unbeatable at the moment.

lightman – cant think of anything worse for going touring on! looks good for bringing the shopping back on though. I was more thinking of a light but sturdy bike with skiny tires, just like the roadrat and sutra.

I'm planning on riding from North Devon to Plymouth, then Roscoff to Croatia via Northern Italy. its still in the early stages yet, but I graduate in May and need something to look forward to!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Building up a touring bike for £500?’ is closed to new replies.