Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Building up a Shand Stooshie – brakes, BB and tyre choices?
  • Ben_H

Hi,

I ordered a Shand Stooshie back in July and it should be with me in November. (It will have Stone gloss paintwork, with custom black text, PDW mudguards and 142mm rear adapters).

The frame replaces my Surly Straggler as an all-round “not a MTB” bike for commuting, sociable road rides and touring. I run the Straggler with two sets of wheels: 28mm GP 4Season on Kinesis Racelight Disc and 41mm Knard on Hope 20Five.

Although I’m very fond of the Straggler and have thought about keeping it as a singlespeed commuter, a lack of space means I’m more likely to shift the parts across. The current build is based on a 105 5800 drivetrain, BB7 SL brakes and Hope / Thomson finishing kit.

Brakes

I’ve decided on Post Mount for the brakes, rather than flat mount. I’ve been thinking of Shimano R8020 hydraulic shifters, possibly with Hope RX calipers – but it looks like £600 for this setup. I read mixed reviews on the cheaper RS505 (105) hydro brakes – so is it therefore just better value to stick with the BB7 SL brakes until they die?

Bottom bracket

The frame comes with a 68mm PF30 shell, but I could change the order to a T47 threaded. Assuming the PF30 shell, is it better to get adapter cups for a standard BB (I have a Hope one) or to get a specific new one? If the latter, is it better to go with a 24mm or 30mm axle? I have a 105 chainset that I could re-use.

Tyres

I love my current Knard 41 for wet weather commuting over Bristol’s cobbles and potholes, but I think I’ll have clearance under the PDW mudguards for tyres closer to 35c. Any recommendations for knobblies around this size? (I’ve previously used most of the Conti cyclocross and touring options).

Thanks 🙂

Ben_H

Bump!

scotroutes

I’d avoid the PF30.

Ben_H

I’ve read that some PF30 bottom brackets are cack, but equally that some of the newer expanding BBs are better (e.g. Praxis). T47 seems to be a niche standard.

I only want to run standard 24mm axle cranks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Building up a Shand Stooshie – brakes, BB and tyre choices?’ is closed to new replies.