Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Building up a 94 Kona Cindercone.. Couple of questions.
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’m in the process of purchasing a nice 94 Kona Cindercone frame, I plan to have disc brake mounts fitted and get it resprayed, is there anybody else apart from Argos cycles that could do this? I would like somebody closer to home if possible.. I live in Dundee.

I believe the rear brake bosses can be unscrewed, is this correct? I’m not keen on having them totally removed as it may effect the strength on the seat stays, looking to run a 120mm fork on the bike, I’m assuming this wouldn’t kill me or effect the handling too much?

Also.. It will be my only bike and I intend to use it for everything from trail centres to natural riding, I know it’s steel and built to last etc, but just want some piece of mind it won’t kill me on the first decent.. In short.. Will it break? I’m not heavy on bikes or bike parts. More of an XC Jeyboy poncy mincer* ; )

*- I’m not, I’m awesome and can even do skids, I tend to ride sat down though if that makes me worser!

sillyoldman

Ben at Kinetics in Glasgow.

1981miked
    Free Member

Cheers so far, I’ll look him up.

Share where Houston?

thepodge
    Free Member

A 20 year old frame could break at any moment but it’s unlikely

You could probably buy a new frame for the cost of the modifications

The canti studs are unlikely to add any strength, just whip them off

120 forks won’t kill you but the frame wasn’t designed for them so you could be bringing on an early death of the frame

Old kona frames are awesome

john_l
    Free Member

Canti studs don’t unscrew on an old Cindercone, unless you mean you’re going to ask Kinetics to replace the existing ones? Honestly, an old Cindercone’s a lovely thing but at the end of the day it’s a 20yr old steel frame designed around a 63mm suspension fork. I really wouldn’t bother – by the time you’ve spent the £250 that it’ll cost to fit a disc mount, a brace & respray it, you could’ve bought a nice s/h Soul that will be much more suited to what it sounds like you want.

mtbfix

What he said. For the price of the mods you can get a current steel frame. The magic 90s Kona handling will not be there if you shove a big fork in it as I think a 94 Cindercone was a rigid forked bike (?).

Edit: my mistake, it was a P2 or Marzocchi option.

1981miked
    Free Member

Had 3 souls and lovely as they are I really fancy a change..

Back to the drawing board maybe!

haggis1978

100mm forks are fine on a ’94 Kona as they never changed the geometry on their xc hardtails from ’94 till around 2003/4/5

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got a 94 lava dome which is the same frame as the cindercone. It rides ok with 100mm forks but much better with a 80mm fork fitted.

I run the onza rear disc mount which attaches to the drop out and canti stud.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Here it is with the fork at 100mm

thepodge
    Free Member

If you’ve had 3 souls I cant see an old kona being different enough really

Andy-R

I’m running 120mm Marzocchis (with ETA) on a ’95 Kilauea, which will have the same geometry as your Cindercone.
    Seems to handle fine to me…

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks friends,

Think I’m just after something a bit different.. Nothing catching my eye really.

I had an Orange ST4 a few years back which I liked, but Orange bike appear to be gold plated.. According to second hand prices anyway!

Been eyeing up a Pipedream Scion, I want steel again if I’m having a hardtail.

Alpha1653

If you’ve not already done so, have a look at retrobike.co.uk. It’s got a wealth of information on retro-modding old bikes and the guys (like on single track forum) are really helpful. I recently finished renovating a 1997 Cinder Cone: disc tab got added, hose guides added, cable guides removed and powder coated. I was running 120mm Fox Floats but found it a bit high; currently running 100mm and it seems a very capable bike. Ref unscrewing the canti studs: if you’re not cack handed and dremel and file will do the job otherwise get a pro to remove them. As long as you don’t damage the seat stay tubing, I see no reason when it would be weakened.

What thepodge says is true; a 20 year old frame could break at any point but the same could be said for just about any frame out there so you take your chances… However, mine’s 16 years old and got thrashed doing the Welsh Coast to Coast over the summer and it held up perfectly fine. Who know’s what’s around the corner though.

I’m really happy that I did it as the bike was my first ever MTB and having it in a modern, ridable guise is great. That said, would I go out an buy a cinder cone specifically to bring it up to date? The rational part of my brain says don’t be stupid, go buy a 2nd hand Soul / Pipeworks etc but the irrational side says “Hell yeah!”

haggis1978

@dvatcmark it would ride a lot better at 100mm travel if you never had that crazy long stem on there. The only changes Kona made for the years between ’94 aqnd 2003ish was to gradually fit shorter and shorter stems. Ive got 100mm travel Sids on my 19″ 1995 Kilauea with a 90mm stem and its great.

Have you thought of Clarkston Cycles in Glasgow? The lads in there used to build the Flying Scot frames and will do frame repairs and alterations.

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks for the info lads, I know it may well end in tears and will work out the same as buying a new frame but I’m struggling to talk myself out of it..

I had a Kona very early on in my mountain bike history and loved it, however I also had a Trek Y22 and as good as it felt and looked at the time I’m sure it would ride like a burst mattress now!

It would always be at the back of my mind that it’s a 20 year old frame and whilst I’m not harsh on bikes I definitely don’t trundle down the rough stuff, I tend to hop the bike over the bigger obstacles aswell. Maybe I’ll just have to cough up for another Soul or a short travel full suss!

I’ll ponder over the weekend, thanks again folks.

slackalice
    Free Member

There was a really nice Soma HT frame up for grabs on Retrobike a few days back for £150. Go have a look in the 1998 sales section. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Building up a 94 Kona Cindercone.. Couple of questions.’ is closed to new replies.