Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Building trails on common land (Liphook)
  • mikehopkins
    Free Member

Do they get destroyed?
    Trying make the beginnings of a trail on chapel common (near liphook)
    Is it illegal, I have no idea.

Ewan
    Free Member

Probably and probably.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is it illegal,

Yes, unlike riding footpaths for which the worst that can happen is you get a bill for any damage (probably nominal), going out and digging up someone else’s land without permission is criminal damage.

common land

it’s always owned by someone, if it’s council you’ve 2 options, either engage with them and convince them that a MTB trail is the right thing for the area like WCA’s doing, or build it yourself and inevitably it’ll get knocked down if it’s got jumps in it, or several whining letters to the editor in the local paper from people complaining that MTB’ers are destroying the common.

I’d try and work with the council, meetings might be a whole lot less fun than trail building, but at least they won’t get bulldozed after the first complaint.

Nipper99
    Free Member

unauthorised works on common land are unlawful – see commons act 2006. the common will belong to someone – ask the commons registration officer at the county council to check the ownership section of the commons register.

therag
    Free Member

You wouldn’t be building jumps, you would be flattening those jumps that someone else built, with your shovel because they are dangerous 😉

willej

Chapel Common is National Trust, a Site of Special Scientific Interest and part of the South Downs National Park so definitely illegal.

There are a couple of paths that really need the gorse trimming back on if you really want to do something useful! 😉

mikehopkins
    Free Member

It’s used for grazing, so most likely it’s privately owned. it’s not obstructing anything I don’t think that any motor vehicle with 4 wheels can get there. It’s only used by ramblers, dog walkers and horse riders.

Hopefully it wont get destroyed. I’ll post some pictures soon.

Chapel Common is National Trust, a Site of Special Scientific Interest and part of the South Downs National Park so definitely illegal.

Ooops…

Mugboo

Find out who’s in charge of the woodland/parkland at the council. You never know, they might be pro biking?

I have done lots of subtle work on land that’s not my own. It’s slow though. Work a section, then disguise, leave to settle, be patient.
    Don’t ‘build anything huge or obvious. Instead, look for natural features to use.

Up here in Bradford we have a really positive council 🙂 Good luck.

willej

It’s only used by ramblers, dog walkers and horse riders

I ride across it several times a month too and know quite a few other people ride there. I saw loads of tyre trails in the sand there yesterday.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

It’s only used by ramblers, dog walkers and horse riders

I ride across it several times a month too and know quite a few other people ride there. I saw loads of tyre trails in the sand there yesterday.
    I’ll take some snaps of it tomorrow (hopefully) so you can ride by and take a peek.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll take some snaps of it tomorrow (hopefully) so you can ride by and take a peek.

Ahhhhh, it’s one of those “hypotheticaly if I did this” questions.

I’d keep quiet about it, messing about with SSSI’s is the conservation equivalent to kiddy fiddling. The NT’s unlikely to turn a blind eye if they find it as they’d be inline for some pretty hefty fines if they did.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

In reality it depends on what you mean by building trails.

Clearly the land os owned, and you should ask permission before doing anything.

unofficial jumps, berms, obstacles and north shore is a complete no no – not only will they likely get destroyed, but you’ll also bring a lot of hassle, threats of bans and prosecutions, and general opprobrium upon the mountain biking community as a whole, every one if us needs to act as an ambassador.

if however you’re talking about acting in a community minded manner with trail maintenance and improvement of existing tracks there, filling in puddles, reinforcing bits, cutting back vegetation… then more often than not nobody will be bothered.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cutting back vegetation

Depends on the SSSI, I’d really not bother, they’re a mindfield. One mans trimming back the undergrowth is anothers destruction of a rare plant or a creatures habitat, depends what the SSSI was created for.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

…needs to act as an ambassador.

Ahhhhh, it’s one of those “hypotheticaly if I did this” questions.

…inline for some pretty hefty fines…

Ok all this advice has been extremely helpful. I’ll advise ‘him/them/it’ to stop. I’ll post some photos of what ‘him/them/it’ did anyways.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Drop/Roll in

Looking Up the trail

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Is this near Chapel Bank by chance?

I rode motorbike trials there a long time ago, that was a ‘very’ steep hill (considering its location). I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s littered with DH trails these days. Must go & have a look really.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Is this near Chapel Bank by chance?

I rode motorbike trials there a long time ago, that was a ‘very’ steep hill (considering its location). I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s littered with DH trails these days. Must go & have a look really.
    I don’t know the names of any of the places.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Building trails on common land (Liphook)’ is closed to new replies.