Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Building surveyors in Bristol
  • dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I am buying a house and need to get a homebuyers report and building survey. Can anyone recommend a good surveyor?

clubber
    Free Member

My recommendation would be to get the cheapest one your mortgage insists on and then get a decent builder round who’ll spot the real issues. IME surveyors just make the most basic of checks and miss all sorts of things that actually matter. Builders on the other hand (assuming they’re decent ones) will know what to look for and will be able to give you an idea of costs to fix.

spacemonkey

Can’t say I agree with clubber. For a buildings survey (not a sh1tty worthless HBR) an honest/experienced surveyor will complete a good solid investigation and highlight all issues he can see (and have concern about if he cannot see). Remember, he’s going to raise plenty of grade 2 and 3 issues if it means covering him from an insurance aspect.

Use this directory to find reviews …

EDIT: no harm taking a builder along at some point as well. Personally I’d get the report done first then go in with a builder > let him feed back his findings > then question him about anything he’s missed that the surveyor picked up on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Yeah I can see your point about the builder but I think a Surveyor would have a bit more knowlege of what he is looking for. It has been recently renovated so I need the surveyor to be able to see any problems that they have covered up!

Am just getting the basic valuation survey from the mortgage company and will get in my own surveyor. Will check out the directory. Cheers.

spacemonkey

Why do you need two reports?

get a homebuyers report and building survey

The lender will do their own valuation and mark down any issues/retentions.

If it’s a renovated property and you want to discover as much as possible then just get a buildings survey. Ask for pics and estimates etc to be included. Even better, ask to be there at the time.

clubber
    Free Member

I need the surveyor to be able to see any problems that they have covered up!

I wouldn’t count on a surveyor to do that – unless you’re certain that they’re a particularly good one.

Surveyors we’ve used in the past have missed:
    – bowing back wall
    – broken lintel
    – broken window sill
    – Serious damp problem due to external ground level being 1m higher than the house at the side
    – lath/plaster ceilings with serious bowing, needing replacement
    – cracked wall (because the owners had stuck a box of cereal in front to hide it)

I could go on. All these were later spotted by a builder when costing other less significant issues.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Yeah true, it’s Monday morning so my head isn’t working properly yet! Building survey rather than homebuyers report.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I wouldn’t count on a surveyor to do that – unless you’re certain that they’re a particularly good one.

Fair points. That’s why I’m trying to get one that people have used before and can vouch for.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Bump for the workers that don’t spend their whole day on STW!

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Bit less of a response that I was expecting considering the usual topics on here!

Is anyone from Bristol and has used a surveyor. What was your experience?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Building surveyors in Bristol’ is closed to new replies.