Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Building Regs/control advice please – signed off but doesn't meet regs
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Wrightyson, the issue isn’t whether it can be rerouted (it could) but that most insurance companies (mine inc) cover ‘detect and access’ but not the physical repair of the pipe.

As the pipe is not in ducting it can’t be removed and replaced nor will the regs allow a joint in the pipe within the screed floor.

Basically there s no point digging up the floor as we can’t repair what’s there and the only option is a reroute which the insurance doesn’t cover.

So basically, no builder to chase, no come back from the building control who

rely on the builders and tradesmen completing work to a satisfactory standard.

yet charge me £500 for their trusting nature meaning I’m likely to have to cover it all myself.

wrightyson
    Free Member

But without building control you wouldn’t get a completion certificate and therefore that would cause problems down the line when/if selling the property.
    I do feel for you and shisters like that give the trade a bad name!

Greybeard
    Free Member

Ben, you mentioned a registered builder. If he’s registered, you relied on the body that registered him having assessed his competence – ask them what they say to him being incompetent / fraaudulent. His competence should include chosing subcontractors.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

You are right in that insurance policies cover the cost of damage caused by the leak & not repair of the leak itself. Some policies have an additional element of cover call trace & access which covers the cost of locating & exposing the leak for you to then repair & reinstatement of the floor. So if you have T&A cover (usually has a max value of £5K) you would be covered for locating the leak, digging up the floor to expose the pipe & then making good afterwards.
    Also insurance is the value of the repair & not the repair itself. Could you not settle on the value of repairing the pipe & use this towards the cost of re-routing.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Greybeard, while the builder was registered at the time he’s now in jail (was banned from being a director from a previous bankruptcy) and been diisowned by the said bodies inc his liability insurer and none were really valid due to the ban hence my stress at finding a different route.

G of R, it is trace and access so hoping they’ll include creating a channel in the slab to allow proper repair.

N.B before I get flamed I contacted all the professional bodies before instructing him and everything was legit,aside from the plumber all the subcontractors we’re cool and some have offered free advice regarding this and also were stung by his actions

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Building Regs/control advice please – signed off but doesn't meet regs’ is closed to new replies.