Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Building my first bike – should I bother?
  • deafpanda
    Free Member

I have a 2014 Camber Evo which is great – I upgraded it (pikes, reverb) and by all accounts it is pretty great. It’s a bit on the hefty side since I added the extra stuff, at 14kg.

I sort of fancy a hardtail, for muddy days, local rides (Ashton Court etc near Bristol – my bike makes that even more boring). And because I want to know more about repairing/maintaining bikes, so surely building one is a good way to do that?

My checklist for a putative new hardtail is:

[list]
    [*]Better up the hills than my Camber[/*]
    [*]Slacker than my Camber[/*]
    [*]More fun on easy stuff than my Camber[/*]
    [*]Still decent on technical stuff[/*]
    [*]Easier to get in the air than my Camber (I am shit at jumping, but a bit less shit on other people’s smaller-wheeled bikes)[/*]
    [/list]

I can spend about £2k – £3k (top whack) I reckon. Looking at the Stanton Slackline and the Bird Zero AM, although I would possibly prefer 120mm if the head angle wasn’t too steep.

Can I get what I want? Or have I painted myself into a one-bike corner by having a bike that is a bit too much an all-rounder?

Garry_Lager

Budget sounds a bit excessive there, by a factor of ten or so, but yes building one up is a great idea, and very straightforward.

deafpanda
    Free Member

Haha thanks, the budget is for everything, not just a frame…

poltheball
    Free Member

Don’t bother spending anything like that amount of dollah.

Yes, building a bike helps massively with understanding how everything works, so well worth it.

wiggles
    Free Member

I would get a nice P7 for that money, done a sweet custom build for a customer with everything you could want for somewhere in your budget.

Junkyard
    Free Member

that price for a hardtail is a hell of a lot of money

Unless you arre trying to build it silly light or race it then its excessive

You could learn just as much buying second hand and repairing it 😉

Building a bike is not how i would choose to learn as you may well end up with a bike that is shit – no offence meant but its like learning to swim by diving in the deep end from a diving board

sharkattack

Just buy a used Slackline and see if you like it. Hardtails are not for everyone. Your knees and ankles will hate you. If you get on with it then go from there. Upgrades or fresh start or whatever.

andysredmini
    Free Member

If you want to spend that much then go ahead. People on here sometimes forget that some people have enough money to waste on things they want. You don’t need to spend that much but need and want are two very different things.
    I built myself a santacruz chameleon which ended up costing around £3000 plus some bits I already had. Spec below

Santacruz chamelon
    Fox 34 factory forks
    Mavic 821 rims on hope pro2 Evo hubs
    Race face sixC Carbon cranks
    Race face sixC Carbon bars
    Reverb seat post
    Sdg circuit carbon saddle
    Magic Mary / hans dampf
    Hope e4 brakes and 203mm floating rotors
    Hope f20 pedals
    Xtr mech and shifter
    Odi Troy Lee lockons

It weighs about 26lbs and rides amazingly but is built to handle anything.

Something like that would probably be perfect for what you described

Photos here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-chameleon-is-finally-finished

edhornby

Building your own bike gets you exactly what you want and is a great way to learn. You are also very likely to fix it yourself because you built it.

Raid superstar for finishing bits (May 25% off) Parkwood frames are good price atm

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Mondraker carbon hardtail £3000. Pig fugly though: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Mondraker-Podium-Carbon-Mountain-Bike-2016-Hardtail-MTB_82684.htm?

Definitely possible to spend that sort of cash on a hardtail. Even more if you build it up from separate bits. Probably worth it though, if you can afford it.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I love building my own bikes. I think apart from my Stumpjumper being a little too small, I never really bonded with it like I did with my self built hardtails.

Hoping the Bird Aeris build will be better 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Building my first bike – should I bother?’ is closed to new replies.