Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • building light off-road 29 wheel. Hope pro3 SP hub?
  • lardman
    Free Member

Im building a wheel for my 29er commuter/gravel/winter trainer bike and wondered what the score with Hope straight pull hubs is?

i have four sets of off road 26″ wheel, all with Pro2’s and want to keep the Hope line-up.

Any issues i should be aware off with pro3 SP’s?

Building them my self, new spokes but 2nd hand rims and hubs.

curvature
    Free Member

I had straight pull on my Five 26 and now have straight pull on my Ripley 29.

I ran Flows on my Five and have Crests on my Ripley.

No problems with either.

njee20
    Free Member

Getting SP spokes can be a bitch, and they’re harder to build with. About it.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I had pro 3 SPs with the 6 bolt disc fitment.

Nothing bad to report here!

They were built onto Dt swiss xr4.2 rims and didn’t appear to be too light.

The SP bit is meant to be stiffer spoke tension but spokes are probably harder to get hold of in an emergency rebuild situation.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m assuming you meant light off road meaning no 10 foot drops? They’re not particularly light if you meant that!

lardman
    Free Member

Yeah, i meant that i (17st) will be using them for gravel trails and no ‘airtime’ on the Lurcher that they are going on.

It’s only that ive seen one quite cheap.

I have however heard that the axle is slightly larger, and bearings slightly smaller. Meaning much less durability. Most of this ‘heard’ is anecdotal forum reporting however.

Wait a minute…. doh!

lardman
    Free Member

@njee…
    why harder to build with?

nuke

I had no problem getting hold of the SP spokes when i was going to the Alps; nothing that niche about straight spokes…several trips later ive still not had to use one

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I just dont see the point in straight pulls they are not more relaible all they do is add expense. Straight pull spokes are not stiffer or handle tension better. In fact they are not even more fatigue resistant in reality. What causes spoke failure in a real wheel is either poor wheel building, lack of stiffness (i.e bad component slectikn which is bad wheel building) or excessive number of miles. Eventually fatigue gets even the best built wheel regardkess of the type of spoke used. If the hubs you are using only come for straight pull spokes then fine but they would have to have something else going for them as well. The wheelset i did for my self recently is 32f/32r ryde trace trail rim, sapim laser spokes and alloy nipples and xtr hubs. 1625g and very stiff and they seem robust however a 17stone rider maybe too much for these (rims have 100kg weight limit). I have run laser spokes on disc brakes wheels for too long now to have any worries about using them with the right rim and hubs. If you go with straight pull hubs just try working out the spoke lengths it not simple. Plugging in 3x into the calculator and using the spokes suggested will get you nowhere. Straight pull hubs will have a fractional crossing for spoke length calculation. For example miche supertype road hubs use 2x lacing ds for a 24 spoke rear wheel but to calculate spoke lengths you need to plug in 2.8 for the crossing. Miche wont tell you that you have to work that out for yourself. I once asked hope tomhelp with spoke length calc with a rim they dont use themselves for one of there sp hubs they couldnt help. I didnt build the wheel as the time taken to work out the lengths would have been expensive.

If you are dead set on straight pulls then use dt hubs as there spoke calculator will do that for there hubs but the lengths come out wrong for other companies hubs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘building light off-road 29 wheel. Hope pro3 SP hub?’ is closed to new replies.