Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Building Information Modelling (BIM) – anybody ITK?
  • MrSparkle

I work for a manufacturer of Sound Insulation and I have just come across BIM. I’m wondering whether investing in getting our products put on the BIM library would be worthwhile. A search shows that as yet there aren’t many sound insulation products on there as yet.
    Any views?

ads678

Can’t hurt, if your products are spec’d on a BIM model, contractors will use them. They don’t tend to deviate as much when something is spec’d on a BIM model.

ffej
    Free Member

MrSparkle

BIM will be used more and more in the coming years as the gov is forcing its adoption on public funded projects. So, yes, if you get yourself set up on bim is will no doubt increase the chance of an architect specifying your stuff.

Jeff

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    T1000
    Free Member

as well as Gov mandate, all the construction big players are mandating the use of BIM + the rest of the world is following…..

Smudger666

definitely.

and get some 3d CAD blocks as well while you are at it – our guys do all the drawings we issue in 3d, and we have all our boilers available ready for BIM.

as previously stated, any public procurement will require BIM come 2016. several of the M&E consultants I deal with are gearing up already and looking for product data in BIM ready format.

MrSparkle

I’ve been looking into this a bit more and I’m confused. I might ramble on a bit here so bear with me.
    To construct BIM’s for our products means that we would need to either invest in some software (revitt etc) and some training and do it in house or fork out for somebody to do it for us. Fair enough but as yet I’m still not convinced that the investment is worthwhile.
    So, without throwing loads of money into it initially, it looks like you can ‘dip a toe in’ by submitting products as Product Data Sheets using a template. I can’t find out all the info I need but it seems there are different templates for different types of product. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places.
    Presumably once you have filled in the template and created a Data Sheet then you can host that on your website and submit it for inclusion to online libraries. And then hopefully somebody will find them and hopefully somebody will spec them and maybe buy them. Hmm.
    Then I discover that the Government who are supposedly pushing for the first stage of BMI implementation to be in place next year, are winding up the BMI task group. Doesn’t seem a very positive move to me. Is the whole project going to get knocked back?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Building Information Modelling (BIM) – anybody ITK?’ is closed to new replies.