Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Building experts, does this look safe to you?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

It was really sweet – they knocked on the door this afternoon to show me the new way they’d worked out to do it safely. Telelifter at the back of the site with supports down, they walk the trusses in then do a straight up lift. Much more sensible.

I think they got a bollocking from the clients – who also happen to be my landlords 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

You find out what they weigh?

bencooper
    Free Member

Nope.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Is there a safe weight to be lifting over people?

ChrisE
    Free Member

More importantly the truss may well snap if lifted flat like that and when it snaps it will fall off. The gangnail plates will fail.
    C

wrightyson
    Free Member

See earlier comment on “how to lift.” Lifting as they were is just stupid and I’d suggest they haven’t put many roofs on. Much easier to recieve the truss in an upright position to start with as over that length they’re a bastard to stand.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Its trespass as the landowner owns the airspace. Its poor planning and unlikely that they have undertaken a method statement. There should be a written agreement with the landowner being oversailed and evidence that necessary insurances in place. Ask them to stop until this agreed and evidence of insurance demonstrated. If they carry on you could get an injunction if you felt strongly about it.

sv

No support/jack legs down would be my issue – I had problems when a sub contractor was tiling our garage roof. He had asked the main contractor (new build development) site guy to lift the tiles up onto the roof with the tele-handler. Didnt put the legs down and the machine tipped forward and the tiles fell off. That bit wasnt great but then the loose tiles knocked one of the subbies of the roof and he fell to the ground. Ambulance/A&E (think he sustained some back injuries) and eventually a court case. All fought out by the sub contractor and the main site firm, I was next on the hit list (wasnt even at home!)…

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, we’re all good now – their new plan doesn’t involve lifting over me or anyone else, just a straight lift with the legs down.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Building experts, does this look safe to you?’ is closed to new replies.