Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Building Control Inspectors
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

STW, we have a problem.

Feet towers is having an extension built. We hit a snag (well a few) when the Building Control Inspector (I shall call him ‘Arse’ from now on) came round. This wasn’t entirely unexpected as they always have to raise something, but I’m getting increasingly annoyed with this particular one.

Turns out our foundations for a single story wall are within 3m of a sewer. The local water company have certain conditions/requirements around building within 3m. Our builder and architect have submitted a proposal to the water company that should meet their conditions. However the Arse insists that this is not good enough and that he (the Arse) must talk to the water company himself. Surely if the water company approve and certify the plans, then that’s it and the Arse can bugger off?

lyrikal
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, you say your proposals “should” meet their approval. The inspector needs to be sure that they do. It is up to you to prove any deviation from the normal standards. I wouldn’t be taking anybody’s word on it, too late to find out your proposals aren’t acceptable once you have the concrete poured.

It always amuses me that people will take a builders word, who is making money from his proposals, to that of someone like a building control inspector who has nothing to gain.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That’s not what I’m saying. Regardless of what the proposals are, the Water company are the ones authorising. They issue a permit that says we can proceed. Surely that’s the key thing here. Regardless of what the Arse thinks, the water company are the higher authority for this particular piece – they issue the approval, then he should be happy surely?

These things happen, but the Arse seems to want to drag this out for some reason which as far as I can see, just adds unnecessary delay

Richie_B

Sounds like all the Inspector is looking for is a piece of paper from the water company to say they are happy with the proposals. Its bureaucratic but being as you are so close to the sewer it will be a pretty important bit of paper if you ever come to selling the house. If you’ve ever sat in the reception area of a busy Building Control Department you will appreciate the amount of unreliable verbal promises/BS/complete ignorance of what is needed to grant an approval that they put up with on a daily basis and why a copy of the letter/permit is so important.

If the Inspector has the letter already you are right.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Building control trumps water authority.

footflaps

the Water company are the ones authorising.

No, BC are the final authority and you have no choice in that, so better do as they say.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sounds like all the Inspector is looking for is a piece of paper from the water company to say they are happy with the proposals.

…and is fine – it’s what we know needs to be done, but he is putting himself between our architect and that piece of paper. This is the frustrating bit as it seems to serve no purpose whatsoever other than delaying things. Surely, and this is the crux of my frustration, if the water company issue that piece of paper, then that is all he needs to sign off. I’m not saying we are going to ignore BC, that would be daft

mj27
    Free Member

Don’t annoy the building inspector

It will cost you a fortune in the long run. Many people lie to the building inspector, as the process moves along trust is built up between the client and them. He just wants to check you have done the right thing, let him do it.

They have a job to do and sign off to regulations, take the emotion out of the situation.

I always tell people extending your own property is difficult as there is so much personal interest and finances involved but most people think it is easy. There are always tears!!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Be nice to him and humour him.

If you piss him off then this will just be the start of your problems.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’m not – we have paid a bit extra for all this to be done for us. Whatever needs to be done, needs to be done. I have no problem with that. It’s unnecessary pointless delays that are bugging me.

geoffj

Surely, and this is the crux of my frustration, if the water company issue that piece of paper, then that is all he needs to sign off

Is Arse not just ensuring that the piece of paper IS issued and contains the information it needs to?

darthshearer
    Free Member

The water company wont have come out and seen it will they? BC has and wants a better detail.

Was this sewer known before the build? If so, the ‘arse’ isnt the BC, but your architect tbh he should have seen this and sorted it prior?

nickjb
    Free Member

whatever needs to be done, needs to be done.

this is one of those things. The building inspector is on your side keeping your builder in check. Sometimes it’s a pain but better that things are done right. It’s for your benefit in the long run.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Is Arse not just ensuring that the piece of paper IS issued and contains the information it needs to?

No – we will get the bit of paper, but Arse is putting himself between our architect and the water company. Why?

Was this sewer known before the build?

If so, the ‘arse’ isnt the BC, but your architect tbh he should have seen this and sorted it prior?

Yep, the architect missed it (to be fair it’s actually under next door’s house and there was a van parked over the manhole on each of his visits, but he should have picked it up. We’ve had words, but shit happens….

Stoner
    Free Member

No, BC are the final authority and you have no choice in that, so better do as they say

Actually, not a lot of people know that you are at liberty to use an independent building inspector. These are commercial operators who, for a fee, can undertake building inspector role, and sign of on Building Control without you ever having to deal with the Council Nazi Building Controller.

I came across this by accident after being told by BC that my barn conversion did not count as a “new residence build” at a fee of around £600 for BC, but as “Works” whereby the fee was calculated off the amount of money being spent (WTF??!). I asked what happens if I told them that it was going to be done nice and inexpensively and would therefore come to a fee of….£600…they said NO and that they would calculate the fee at £1,400.

I found out that you can hire an independent inspector, they charged £900 and let me get on with the job without interference. Remember, their profitability FALLS the more they interfere in your work. They just have to do enough to maintain their PI cover. Mine was really helpful at times as well. I would submit photos of works at key points for him to confirm he was happy with things and he came out for 2 site visits over the whole build.

Best £900 I’ve ever spent.

meanwhile, my neighbour, doing a refurb and new garage next door got the most pedantic arse of a BC for his build. And ended up using 18m3 of concrete for a garage foundation because of it.

konabunny
    Free Member

What’s the OP’s problem with telling the inspector “sure, feel free to call the water board if you want”?

gavinpearce
    Free Member

In my experience the sewage undertaker will approve the proposals and then this would be accepted by BC. The idea of building within 3m is to prevent damage to the pipe and access for any possible replacement of the pipe run. How close are you. On our own extension we were at 1m away but had to go down to the invert of the drain (2.5m). All details were approved by sewage undertaker and they sent the letter to BC confirming all ok. Perhaps phone up the sewage guys and ask them if they have sent letter to BC?

What Stoner said.

And don’t forget, if the L.A. BCO insists on basing it on value of work, it is only works covered by building regs that should be considered. If you are spending £100k, knock off all non building regs work such as decorations, kitchen, bathrooms etc to get down to the building regs figure.

I always use approved inspectors for work projects, and it was a no-brainer to use them for my own extension / rebuild at home.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

However you can’t switch inspectors after the job has started.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Our builder was insistent that we use an independent BCO.
    After seeing the pain that our next door neighbours when through with the LA BCO , there was no way that I would use the council’s ‘Services’.
    They took an age to come out, and were generally unpleasant people (not universal I know). They were even worse jobsworths that the planning bods.

Our independent is a nice guy to work with. Is usually there same day to sign off stages and just seems to want to help us get the work done properly and with the minimum of fuss. Cost us roughly £650, so not extortionate.

Good luck with the build OP (maybe the IPA thread will help? 😀 )

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

We are about 1.5m away
    The sewer is fully underneath next door’s extension, which was built with probably no regard to the sewer it as it was a long time ago.

We are stuck with Arse now

It will all come good to the detriment of time and the contents of my wallet.

I have heard from others that this particular BCI is something of an over zealous jobsworth. Just our luck 😥

poly
    Free Member

We are about 1.5m away
    The sewer is fully underneath next door’s extension, which was built with probably no regard to the sewer it as it was a long time ago.

Perhaps he wants to make sure the WC are aware of the neighbouring issue which may make your own request not quite so simple. I wouldn’t be surprised if your (architect) omitted to highlight the “bigger picture” issue to the WC as its not actually in his site – but might be a huge headache if access is needed to that sewer.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Had a similar situation to that today Stoner, called building control and they said because our loft conversion will be over 50m2 it would have to be worked out on costs. Needless to say had to use my charms, in the end he rescinded and said i could do it for the standard charge even though the conversion is 70m2.
    Our building control guys are top blokes in my opinion. 😀

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

might be a huge headache if access is needed to that sewer.

Seeing as it’s entirely underneath next door, whatever we do has no bearing on access. No one can fathom out why he wants to get so involved.

Anyway, it’ll sort itself out soon hopefully

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Building Control Inspectors’ is closed to new replies.