Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Building an extension – with SIPs? Also Flat roofs?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

In the enviable position to build an extension on my 30’s semi-detatched house. We have a tame builder, a good friend of mine, and we were discussing SIP’s with him (I first saw them/heard about them on Grand Designs) he seems pretty keen, any downsides to using SIPs?

The only thing I can think about is it will be harder to change things in years to come – but this unlikely to happen.

Also what about flat roofs, more aesthetically pleasing imo but would you? Possibly thinking green roof.

nickjb
    Free Member

I can see the benefit of SIPS where you design custom panels and build the whole thing in a warehouse then ship to site and assemble in a day but it’ll cost quite a bit. If you want to use standard panels then there’d be a lot of fiddling joints and windows and doors. Can’t see any benefit over standard block and cavity. Maybe for a workshop/shed with longer runs and less openings.

I put a fibreglass roof on ours with a view to putting a sedum green roof over the top. Still haven’t got round to that bit yet but the fibreglass bit was easy enough to do and has been fine. Took 2 days including some fiddly bits around the rooflights.

TPTcruiser

Allegedly

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sips are not that expensive now a days. Especially if you know a man. Very simple construction method, many cladding options. Flat roofs have come a long way. Beauty of Sips is you can get plastering before the outside is even finished in theory…

sargey

Built my shed out of sips panels.
    Went quite well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Building an extension – with SIPs? Also Flat roofs?’ is closed to new replies.