Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Building a wooden climbing frame.
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m almost finished building a ‘Wickey Hill Billys farm’, it has been a complete pain with almost nothing measured or pre-drilled, just an expensive pile of wood really.

So we finally get to adding the slide, which is attached with two smallish screws at the top and nothing at the bottom!It just doesn’t seem enough, has anyone built similar and done anything to beef up the slide?

Stoner
    Free Member

two screws is all the slide needs. Decent screws will take 100’s of KG in shear and the slide is designed so there’s very little force pulling against the screws. The screws are just to keep the slide located on the top rail which is bearing the load of little darlings hooning up and down.

I bought a slide (sounds like the same as yours) and fitted it to a “treehouse” I built 3yrs ago. It hasnt moved or failed since.

ads678

Only pic I can find at the minute but the slide has been held on by two wood screws for about 3 years and doesn’t look like moving anytime soon.

tinybits
    Free Member

yep, exactly the same. Slide has been in place for 2 years with no issues.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Well that is good to hear, my concerns were mostly about climbing up the slide and potentially lifting up as kids seem to do,

Bagstard
    Free Member

It is the same slide that I have, has nobody anchored the bottom?

johndoh
    Free Member

No anchor at the bottom of our slide – but it’s dug itself into the ground slightly anyway so it is as good as anchored.

And our kids constantly walk up the slide too without any issues at all – in fact I don’t know how walking up a slide would cause an unanchored slide to move.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Sounds good, I will just leave it then, thanks all.

benp1

Has anyone made a slide? I’d like to make something quite long, i.e about 8-9 ft high (off the banister from a raised bit of decking

The commercially available slides are either nasty or expensive

andysredmini
    Free Member

I looked at making one last year and didn’t get very far. I looked at making it out of stainless steel but when I looked at ones on the local park there is quite a lot of details to make them safe i.e trims covering sharp edges and curving bits to mate the sides to the bottom curves. We don’t have the machinery or materials at work for the more complex bits so I decided a bought one would be quicker, easier and safer.

Does anyone know where I can get a slide longer than 3m long without buying a proper playground one?

Stoner
    Free Member

keep an eye on ebay,

I nearly bought a long stainless steel one for a reasonable price but it was too far away. Collection only can be your friend.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Building a wooden climbing frame.’ is closed to new replies.