• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wool.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Building a single garage on the side of my house. Help + Ideas needed please.
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have submitted the plans and want to get started ASAP. Single garage (read-fancy bike store/man cave) on the side of my house with brick cav block walls.

Pitched tiled roof (front to back), insulated remote controlled garage roller shutter on front and a pair of upvc doubled glazed patio doors on rear leading onto a patio.

I am going to vault the ceiling (make it feel more spacious) with a Velux type window in each side. Plasterboard + plaster walls and vaulted ceiling and then maybe get a terrazzo or screed type flooring or similar. Getting a radiator and plumb in from existing central heating system.

I want a sofa bed in there with TV and hi-fi and desk.

May even put a stud wall in at 2 metres from front of garage door with a single door in it so the “front” bit of the garage can be for the real muddy MTBs and dirty stuff when I get back from the trails. Total length of extension 8 meters. Door from house to garage as well. The most important thing to consider is I have four bikes.

Any thoughts on-

Flooring?
    Garage door?
    Velux type window?
    Storage ideas?
    Any gadgets?
    Fold down bed instead of sofa bed?
    Owt else?

I dont want to think when finished, I wish I did that or I never knew that or have seen one of those.

Cheers Jason.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rather than make it feel like more space actually design the trusses so you can have a mezzanine and actually have more space. Don’t suggest to bc that at any point you will be sleeping in it, it’s a garage that is it, what you do with it after completion is up to you. Insulate the floor, insulated sectional door, 100mm solid fill cavity, paint grade blocks, wiring in conduits, plenty of sockets….

alexpalacefan

Just done something similar.

What I would have done differently?

I’m running a dehumidifier to dry pads, jackets et c. that don’t go in the washer. Next time I’d have it, the wet kit and the bikes in a separate area so I don’t have to dry the whole space.

Natural light good, sounds like you have that covered.

Think about bike storage and security at an early stage. Where will the bikes and the ground anchors be?
    On a similar note;
    How is the space alarmed?
    How secure is the roof? (robbers will take the roof off rather than go through a secure door).

Lots and lots of shelves.

APF

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

My last single garage was tall enough that not only was it about 9ft from floor to rafters but I could also stand on top of these.

I put in a (narrow) staircase to make it easier to get up there.

Separate consumer unit too.

Plumb for washing machine – I moved ours from the kitchen plus tumble and spare fridge.

wool

Just done this, don’t forget to insulate the floor and go for the same on the garage door.Ours keeps a steady 19c due to going nuts with the insulation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Building a single garage on the side of my house. Help + Ideas needed please.’ is closed to new replies.