Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Building a retaining walls – do l need to speak with building control?
  • crapknees
    Free Member

We have some steps leading down from higher ground built up to the side of our sandstone house, which have been there for the best part of a hundred years, and cause the kitchen on the inside of said wall to smell of damp. My plan is to take the steps (and the soil and stone blocks underneath them) away as far as the highest step, build a retaining wall where the top step was, and build two brick ‘piers’ down from that point, which will provide the support for the steps that will eventually be built on top of them (concrete lintels, probably). This will keep anything from touching the wall anymore, and allow the wall to breathe. It also means the steps will be even (currently very wonky), and have a handrail. Retaining wall is likely to be made of hollow concrete blocks over a concrete and rebar foundation, filled with concrete, with a brick facing, all with drainage and weep holes etc etc.

My question is this – the steps are 1.3m high from the ground, and 1.5-1.7m wide. Do l need to speak to building control, bearing in mind that it’s all on my land, is invisible from the road, and the old steps are causing slow, long term damage to my house?

Oh, and i’ve never built a wall as big as this, but l think i’ve read enough material and got enough practical knowledge to do a tidy job (famous last words…)

creamegg
    Free Member

no b regs required to my knowledge as its external work

honeybadgerx

Just as an alternative, to potentially stop you building the retaining wall part of it, you could just dig out and replace with single size gravel a 500mm wide trench immediately against your house wall, then construct new steps on top of that? This would stop moisture ‘bridging’ the gap from soil to external wall. You could also coat the outisde of the wall with a sealant to help as well (have a look on the Sika website). Difficult to judge the practicalities of this without seeing the site in question, but coudl be food for thought and potentially save time/cash.

crapknees
    Free Member

Honeybadgerx: The whole lot needs to go – its holding a lot of soil against the house and it all needs relaying and a handrail installing anyway. Wouldnt use that sealant stuff – the wall cant breathe as it is.

Plus l like building stuff 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Building a retaining walls – do l need to speak with building control?’ is closed to new replies.