Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Building a pizza oven – cooking surface?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m for building a wood fired pizza oven, about 4 feet high, and I’ve seen large slabs of slate (from a pool table) for sale at the salvage yard. Has anyone used this, or what did you use. Not sure if slate will be ok with the heat?.

Cheers.

scaled
    Free Member

concrete seemed to work rather well for the guys cooking pizzas at Sonica (festival, in Italy) they made the whole thing out of scaffold poles, planks then just poured the concrete.

Ugly as sin but was on the go for 5+ days pretty much constantly and the pizzas were amazing!

skink2020

Paving slabs are excellent. Also mono blocks side on and butted
    Against one another is ace.
    I’d worry about slate but only because Its fairly easy to fracture and ruin the nice flat surface you want.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

from memory you shouldnt use sedimentry stone around fires as the heat can cause them to shatter dure to water inside turning to steam

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Ask here > Pizzamaking.com

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Mikeypies, that’s my worry. I may go for the monobloc, as I’ve had a paving slab blow up before! Had the BBQ chimney starter sitting on the path a few years back with some fire lighting blocks below. After about 10 minutes, there was a bang like a shotgun going off, and my chimney starter was in the neighbours garden, and the slab had a hole about 10 inches across in it!. Not to mention all the bloody charcoal .lying smouldering all over my nice newly oiled decking. D’oh.

br
    Free Member

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s943952.htm

A friend has one like this, its amazing how little wood is need and also how much heat is generated – if you leave the Pizza until it looks cooked, it burns as you bring it out.

Only about 18″ internal height.

footflaps

This guy has about 200 photos showing the build of his oven: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leckig/4988526838/in/photostream/

sparksmcguff

Slate should be fine, get a nice thick bit. My granny had a slate lined bread oven. I use some left over lock block for lining my BBQ/out door oven. Keeps the heat nicely too (good density etc.).

A mate of mine made a pizza oven positioned on the rear wall of his house and during its first proper run he felt something drip on his head – he looked up and his plastic gutter and fascia had melted 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Building a pizza oven – cooking surface?’ is closed to new replies.