Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ratbuild roadbike. Building a muck-about/roadbike 1×9(?) gearing ok
  • hora
    Free Member

I have a frame/forks/sq taper BB
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3787/12453732014_4e8b132c97_o.jpg

I also have Aksium wheels/tyres. Just need a cassette and chainset- I was thinking of running a single ring up front. Literally this is going to be a commuter- maybe evening roaming bike to/around Manchester airport (and around) and back to Manchester in warmer evenings. Its pretty much flattish around Greater Manchester etc.

Good idea?

What cassette and mech should I get? (Tiagra best I imagine for cost)

Anyone got a square-taper chainset knocking about?

scaled
    Free Member

to be honest, round here you could run 52/52×12 on a road bike and not have a porblem.

I did the whole of the Manchester 100 in 52×12. just because 😀

timrobinson229
    Free Member

Ive been using a 52 upfront with a pauls chainkeeper with an xt 34 t 9 speed at the back with a ten yr old 105 rear mech anf shifters. Works really well on a fairly hilly commute…

hora
    Free Member

Ah- it’d drop the chain?

oliverracing

I currently run my campus bike 1×9 without a chain keeper of any description, and only drop the chain if I freewheel off a high curb (15cm+) If I keep the power on it seems to hold even on 20cm drop offs – but don’t have the ninja skill to try anything more than that as it’s rigid with drop bars 🙂

binners

I was going to say that you don’t need gears round Manchester, but if you ran that single speed, you’d have to get it resprayed pink, dress like one of Mumford and Sons, and loiter around the Northern Quarter generally being a complete cockwaffle

Actually… just looking at that picture is making me feel incredibly violent.

hora
    Free Member

The sad thing is binners they probably see more action in a week than we’ll see in the rest of our lives

woody2000

My commuter bike is 1X9, I have a 36T up front and 11-34 out back. I use a Ngear jumpstop thingy as I found I did drop the chain over rough roads sometime. No probs once I’d fitted the jumpstop. 36/11 seems to be a big enough gear that I don’t really spin out on the downs, whilst giving a reasonably easy climbing gear too. My commute is ~1,000ft of climbing over 9.5 miles. I use a deore rear mech and shifter.

A 52T is nuts, that’d break me! 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

I think I have a Tiagra chainset somewhere. It’s a double though

hora
    Free Member

How much?

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ll try to find it in the shed tonight then will let you know as I can’t be sure they have chainrings with them.

hora
    Free Member

Question- would it be possible to singlespeed that frame if I add spaces to the freehub? Could I fit a chain tug onto those dropouts or would I need a a hateful SS roller-setup?

scud
    Free Member

Hora, i’ve a FSA Silver Compact chainset you can have for £25?

hora
    Free Member

Is it sq-taper?

scud
    Free Member

Sorry it’s not usual external BB, 68mm.

hora
    Free Member

Ah no worries. Ta tho

atlaz
    Free Member

Couldn’t find the cranks in a quick root around the random parts box. There’s another box to go through but it’s buried so it’ll need to wait until the end of the week

timrobinson229
    Free Member

the chain would come off in the lowest sprocket as the angle was pulling the chain off the front.

i found this out climbing hills with fairly comical effect….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ratbuild roadbike. Building a muck-about/roadbike 1×9(?) gearing ok’ is closed to new replies.