Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Building a kids bike – disks worth the extra weight?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure how much more disk brakes would weigh more than V’s, but if you were building a general use bike for your 12-16 year old would you put disks on it (given that you’re trying to produce a pretty light bike)?
    I can’t decide!

wwaswas

Did on my sons bike – the extra confidence when braking in the wet was worth a small weight gain.

Having said that, he’s 14, 5’11” and weighs 10 stone so he’s not really a ‘kid’

sharkbait
    Free Member

he’s 14, 5’11” and weighs 10 stone

Yikes and I wish!

oink
    Free Member

Another advantage with discs – especially hydraulics, is that they have a lighter action at the lever – which is great for weaker hands

sharkbait
    Free Member

is that they have a lighter action at the lever

Ahh, hadn’t thought of that. Reach adjustment would also be good.

curlie467
    Free Member

Yes, i ran v-brakes for a while recently and it is quite frankly terrifying!

Definitely without a doubt worth it and the extra weight is neither here nor there.

I have an Avid elixir 3 front brake for sale at £35 posted in white and perfect working order.

goog
    Free Member

I have an Avid elixir 3 front brake for sale at £35 posted in white and perfect working order.

I’m after one of them

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Building a kids bike – disks worth the extra weight?’ is closed to new replies.