Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Building a garage / mancave / palace of dreams
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Just completed on our new house (woo!). We’re going to build a garage to hold all our my crap, anyone got any websites for inspiration?

Currently undecided if we should build a flat roofed job to avoid planning permission or stick a nice pitched roof one up for additional roof storage area (and / or space to put a bouldering wall). So, er, show me your garages…..

wolvesdug
    Free Member

We built a pitched roof garage under permitted development. no planning needed.We did get a complaint from a neighbour but the council came inspected it and sent us a nice letter to confirm all was good.
    Have a look on the planing portal website for more info.

Pitched is great as we have a nice size storage area for all the crap that we do not use daily.

Ewan
    Free Member

Think we’ll need planning if we go for pitched – it’ll be within 2m of the property boundary so the entire building can’t be more than 2.5m high. If we go flat roofed then we won’t….

Think we might go flat in end as it’ll be cheaper – figure we’ll be there 10 years and as long as I get a roof covering that is guaranteed for more than that it won’t be a problem.

qwerty
    Free Member

This is currently mine…

After dismantling the old one, breaking and shifting 45t of concrete slabs, digging my footing & building a retaining wall! I’m currently packing the hardcore to create the levels for my raft slab. It really is the garage project that Google & STW built!!!!1

I found a crazy bling petrol head forum last night that had some seriously comfortable garages on it (sofas, tv, car tools etc) but can’t find it now.

qwerty
    Free Member

mancave check

batcave check

bling check

qwerty
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

If you can, try for a pitch roof, I had one in my last garage and it makes a real difference to what you can do/store – I put a set of stairs in mine as I could stand-up ‘upstairs’.

nickjb
    Free Member

Might be worth a quick chat with the planners to see if they might allow a pitch. Planning permission is pretty straight forward. If you are in a hurry you could even start groundworks and building and then stick on a pitch roof if you get permission, a flat if you don’t.

bruneep

I put a set of stairs in mine

No you didn’t, you nailed some bits of wood together. 😉

Shonkier than a shonky thing.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

No you didn’t, you nailed some bits of wood together.

🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

In terms of details there are a few points that will make your garage experience that much better.
    [list]
    [*]Lots of light. One tube in the middle is not enough[/*]

[*]Paint the floor. International floor paint is ideal. They do one with sand in to provide more grip.[/*]

[*]Paint the walls. Just cheap white emulsion[/*]
    [/list]

Rochey
    Free Member

I will look forward to this thread, I need the samre ideas also.

Love the one with the qwerty posted up.

Hoff

Hopefully if the photo links!

My shed with attached utility area for the other half & plenty of space for me 🙂

Edit: well that didn’t work then!

Untitled by Mr Hoff, on Flickr

br
    Free Member

No you didn’t, you nailed some bits of wood together

Cheeky. What you can’t see is the routing on the left ‘plank’, rounding of the bottom steps and the bannister above.

And its a temporary stair – as described to the buyers lawyer when we sold…

But if you want workshop, this is mine now (12m * 4m) 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There you go Hoff

Hmm, didnt work for me either.

andybloomer
    Free Member

Two daughters that will grow in to stroppy, hormonal teenagers and sync with the stroppy hormonal wife prompted me to build this for a place of sanctuary in the years to come.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This is not really a garage or a mancave, but perfect for dreaming in.

qwerty
    Free Member

From previous shonkyness I’m planning on fitting: airbricks, glass blocks, damp proof membrane, possibly a roller door, unlikely but a skylight would be nice.

Not sure on the best choice of single skin blocks and their finish… any ideas?

stuarty
    Free Member

Inspiration
    Doent understand where some of the pricing comes from ….
    Tis only wood ffs
    garden rooms

wrightyson
    Free Member

Attic truss all the way, two velux on the non busy body elevation!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Building a garage / mancave / palace of dreams’ is closed to new replies.