Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • building a full suspension bike?
  • pip001
    Free Member

after rebuilding my hard tail I,d quite like to build a full suspension bike.i don’t know much about them and budget would be quite small but it would be a used frame and parts.its mainly for xc trails so what would be a decent used frame and forks ect or would it be cheaper to buy a used bike and if so what?any imput would be very helpful thanks.

duncancallum

I’d argue cheaper to buy a full bike. You can then sell and buy bits to suit

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’d go for a complete bike. There are ridiculously cheap bargains to be found 2nd-hand in 26″ full suspension bikes. Bikes that cost thousands a few years ago now sell for peanuts.

pip001
    Free Member

looks like full bikes the way to go.what should I be looking at and what should I be paying roughly.

duncancallum

It depends on what you want. From 350 to 3500

It’s a huge selection out there

pip001
    Free Member

looking at spending £600 mark.what would be good used buys for the money?

I_Ache
    Free Member

What type of riding would you use it for?

pip001
    Free Member

will be used for mainly xc with some rocky downhill stuff.

pip001
    Free Member

will be used for mainly xc with some rocky downhill stuff.

I_Ache
    Free Member

With that in mind I would suggest something mid travel around 140mm. And in true STW fashion I will suggest what I ride. I have a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, the frame cost me £650 last year but as it’s 26″ they are cheaper now and obviously the aluminium frame are cheaper again. There are older versions of the frame with less travel and different geometry but I really recommend stretching your budget for one of this vintage.

The bike itself is fantastic, easily one of the best I have ridden. It climbs well and all works really well on rocky trails like Antur Stiniog black. Im sure there are better bikes but I’m not sure there are better value bikes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘building a full suspension bike?’ is closed to new replies.