Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Building a Frame?
  • tillyfishes
    Free Member

I have always wanted to build a frame, preferably a full suspension 29er. I have never welded however have contact’s who could help. I have machined man parts for my bike before, chain-guide, chain ring bolts, headset cap and am pretty competent on a lathe.

Has anyone on here done it without going on a course?

How tricky was it?
    What material? – ideally i would like to use steel!

Guessing i need to make a good jig!

andyl
    Free Member

Steel, composite or wood – all “common” DIY frame materials.

I want to build a wooden framed full suspension e-bike!

jimdubleyou

The Eden project are running a workshop to allow you to build your own bamboo frame.

You can even cut your own from their greenhouse.

Northwind

Someone said to me, so, you have a 3d printer. Yup. And you can work fibreglass. Yup. So you could totally make your own carbon frame… Why would you plant that idea in my head, you monster!

matts
    Free Member

I have machined man parts for my bike before

😯 😯

bigdean

You can but it can take a while. I’ve done it and stuck some rambling on a thread (that i must update).

I think was over a year just getting geometry where i wanted it, then building the jig, buying the material list goes on and on.

If going full suss work backwards, get your shock and fixings/ bearings first to work from.

There’s nothing better than riding a bike you’ve made, be prepared for all manner of grumpy comments telling you what you’ve done wrong and why you’ll die in a minute.

Quite timley as i’m just starting swingarm 2.

@northwind, it can be done you know you want to.

mick_r

I’ve done about 10 frames plus repairs, disc mounts etc and never been on a course.

Brazing is maybe easier than welding – it really depends what equipment you have access to. Flat surface, vee blocks and some turned bosses for bb / ht is the minimum jig.

Ceeway is a good source of parts and tubing. Lots of info on Mtbr frame building Forum and velocipede salon but probably best to avoid posting unless you have a very specific question….

Mail me if you need any shonky advice or some photos of set up and tooling etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Building a Frame?’ is closed to new replies.