Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Building a course/track/jumps
  • ashmonkey
    Free Member

I am lucky enough space to build a course around my house. Its mainly lawn, some ups and downs but mostly flat. I am thinking about a course which runs around the edge of the space with some north shore type stuff around the middle.
    So far I have built one jump, a berm and a drop off, trying to use the natural lay of the land. Couple of questions..

Any general hints and tips for trail building ? Links ?
    For the jumps I have used turf I have lifted to make a veg patch, layering the turf up to create the jump, Hopefully once these sit over the winter they should compact down nicely.
    Is a course which is mainly grass going to run very well/fast ? I presume the grass will die back from the wear and tear as we use it so less drag etc.

Really want to be able to have a giggle outside my front door as living between Reading and Basingstoke there is nothing much close by, Swinley being the closest.

caspian
    Free Member

I think Facebook killed it but http://www.buildthewoods.co.uk/ is worth a look for inspiration.

You are best off getting in touch with and visiting one of the amazing bmx trail spots around the M25 for a look and talking to people directly for building tips, or better still help them build in order to learn more quickly.

A weekend trip to any of the following trail spots would do it: Chertsey, Leatherhead, Epsom, Wisley, Brockham, Winchester. There are many others.

There are trails in Basingstoke and Maidenhead too but I’m not sure on the exact locations or people running them.

Finally, damn you as I would love to be in your position! Check out C&K Contractors in case you have megabucks and want someone to build something perfect for you. They are the bmxers who built the olympic track.

P.S. Grass will not ride fast but nor will it be there for long if you ride often. Don’t fill your jumps with rubbish like logs as it’s a headache when you inevitably move them to make them bigger. Hire a whaker plate for the compacting or use a moped to run up the lips/landings if you can’t be bothered with spadework.

P.P.S. I would drive up to give you a hand as I love building trails more than anything but am abroad for work until December.

JoeG
    Free Member

IMBA’s books are very good!

And also WTPTN

ashmonkey
    Free Member

This will be mainly using a shoestring and elbow grease so I wont be getting anyone in.
    I was thinking the grass would die back on the track and end up firm compacted dirt. At the moment you just dont roll well enough.

I’ve an oak come down last year and have saved all the big logs, should be able to make something creative for the north shore bits.

I think I’ll need to start making a “pond” somewhere else to get more soil as the amount you need is amazing.

A helping hand is always welcome, its bloody hard work 😯

Rosss
    Free Member

Pond, veg patch and a bike track. How big is your garden?

ashmonkey
    Free Member

About an acre(ish)
    The track runs around the edge with a bit of zig zagging. Then there is a bit of overgrown land out the front which I should be OK to ride on, probably another acre. Its all over grown with bramble but I’ve started clearing a path through it. The problem with that area is the soil is all very loamy, leaf-mould, its almost springy so I’ll need to get something down on it.

Keep trying to figure a way to ride over the shed roof (there an old car port thing next to it about 4 foot high) :o)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Building a course/track/jumps’ is closed to new replies.