Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Building a block/brick shed TIPS?
  • wideboy
    Free Member

Alright Folks,

Anyone have any experience of building a smallish block/brick shed/workshop?

Looking for your top tips to make it as painless as possible!

Pondered going for the quicker anmd easier wooden option, but would like the option of sticking the bikes in without being too easy to pinch, and will be happier with a more substantial structure.

It will be replacing an existing (but old and knackered) brickwork potting shed (so planning etc should be ok).

Circa 10m² footprint, 2m ish high.

Already have new foundations down.

I assume a few of you guys on here have already built similar? So any helpful info would be much appreciated 🙂

Thanks

somouk
    Free Member

I had a quote from a builder to build a block shed as it was cheaper and then face it with wood so it didn’t look too substantial and shout about holding something expensive to the local chavs.

Might be worth looking at?

wideboy
    Free Member

Cunning!

wrightyson
    Free Member

FOOTFLAPS!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Straight forward enough tho. Use a 7n concrete block. Put a damp course in, allow for your floor levels etc. if building it sinhle skin bond a pier in down that length as 4/5 m is a long run on 100 mm. Think of your roof design. Trusses/traditional etc

Greybeard
    Free Member
    cxthompson
    Free Member

I built a triangular workshop out of blocks. It fits in a corner of the garden perfectly and wasn’t too bad to build. I did buy one of those bricky things that was amazing..

footflaps

A few 100 photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brf/sets/72157631470184020/

Outside:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/n2LN6Z]Trellis, Gate and Fence[/url] by brf, on Flickr

Inside:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dXwkJS]One coat on this half…[/url] by brf, on Flickr

grantway
    Free Member

Planning permission and good foundations

wideboy
    Free Member

Footflaps is a ‘tad’ more ambitious than what I had in mind 😀

Your workshop looks better put together than my house…

More along the lines of, no windows, one door, single pitch roof!

Foundations are in and solid, over engineered if anything (I got a bit carried away with the excavation!).

Good info wrightyson, was considering putting the door roughly centre of the 5m, with a pier either side.

cxthomson, I keep seeing those bricky things when i’m googling ‘how to lay bricks’ vids! Wasn’t sure if it was just an info-mercial, late night tv thing, or if it was actually any use! Does look handy though. Worth the cash?

Thanks for the input so far.

stumpyjon

I’ve just doubled my garage in brickwork. I found the brickie fairly useful although I didn’t use it exactly as intended. I found it made appling mortar on the previous row of bricks easier with it but then buttered the bricks as I laid them and used a string line and lump hammer to make sure they were placed correctly. Best advice is take your time and use an additive in the mortar to make it easier to work (makes it creamy and easy to spread but doesn’t make it runny).

wideboy
    Free Member

I best get ordering some materials!
    Thanks

mrben100
    Free Member

wideboy – Member

..It will be replacing an existing (but old and knackered) brickwork potting shed (so planning etc should be ok)….

Couldn’t establish from this whether you were seeking planning permission and thought it would pass straight through or you have determined it is permitted development and therefore won’t require it?

It’s worth double checking, just in case you have an awkward neighbour if nothing else.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

cxthompson
    Free Member

The bricky was fantastic, once you’ve got the initial course completed it just slides along laying exactly the right thickness of pug. Really pleased, where abouts are you? Mine is languishing in the workshop which it built, having also built a big retaining wall and a conservatory. If you’re local you’re more than welcome to borrow..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Remember to ventalate.

wideboy
    Free Member

I should be covered by the permitted building regs, due to the small size and that i’m replacing an existing building. But, yep, def worth double checking.

The bricky looks pretty handy, sure it’ll pay for itself in timesaving. I’m in Aberdeen, so likely no where near you CXT? They’re on offer on the website now at £30 so not too bad if it saves a few hours faffing around.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What is this bricky you are all on about. Sounds more expensive than a line and two corner blocks 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your in scotland, wouldnt worry too much about planning permission unless your building a towering behemoth/on a boundary line or its in front of the front elevation of the house.

Dickyboy

What is this bricky you are all on about. Sounds more expensive than a line and two corner blocks

wish I’d known about it before taking for ever to build my garage at the last house 😕

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Building a block/brick shed TIPS?’ is closed to new replies.