Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Building a bike for a 9/10 yr old..
  • nickmsm
    Free Member

More nice builds 🙂

edhornby – that’s very kind thank you! I would really appreciate that, I’d like to spend a healthy amount on the forks/gears so some cheap rims to start off with would be great.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I got some good used 100mm rebas for about £80 changed the oil etc they have the ally steerer so quite light and air sprung so better for a light rider to get the spring correct. I sold the dart forks it came with for £50 so the new forks worked out at £30
    Used XT rear shifter and shirt cage mech for the spares box.
    50mm stem direct from china £10
    For me I think it was cheaper to buy a complete bike and sell the bits you don’t need rather than have to buy everything.
    Post up a list of what you need and I will have a rummage in the shed.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Cheers, possibly would have been cheaper but I enjoyed building up my Cotic so thought I’d go the same route with this 🙂

As it stands looking for forks (if anyone has some Rebas for sale?!), shifter/rear mech – don’t mind 9 or 10 speed, & cassette. Think everything else is in hand now.

edhornby

not a problem, I’ve had a new set of handmedowns from my brother so I’m paying it forward 🙂

my forum name with a dot in between and then ‘at’ gmail ‘dot’ com – never posted wheels before so any advice would be great, or can you collect? (ok West Sussex may be a trek !)

nickmsm
    Free Member

Thanks have sent you an email 🙂

happybiker
    Free Member

Nick,I have some Marzocchi 100mm forks, 9 speed Deore mech,chain and cassette if you’re keen.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Thanks for offer, really after some Rockshox though as I know them. Already sourced a 10 speed SLX/XT set up so have that sorted now.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Nearly ready to start building the bike up, just need new cranks and a couple of other minor bits. RE the Thorn, what’s the best sized chain ring to use? Running a 1×10 speed with a 11-36 cassette. Thinking a 30 or 32t? Will there be any issue with chain dropping?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-104-64-pcd-triple-crankset-mk2-black-prod31813/

localhero94
    Free Member

I used a 30t on my 10yr old’s Cube build (Thorn cranks also), with an 11-36 cassette and hope 40t expander. He’s not great up hills so that gives him a pretty decent gear to use. No chain-dropping today (first real test), using a zee clutch mech.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/r3kFCv][/url]

poah
    Free Member

with the thorn crank you can use 30t on the 104ring or a 28 on the 64ring (absolute black). my boy uses a 40t superstar xpander with a 30t front on a thorn

nickmsm
    Free Member

Bike was finished on Saturday, son has already been out on it a few times. Cost way over what I had planned to spend in the end (doesn’t it always? 🙂 ) but he loves it and it’s a massive step up from his old 20” bike! Thinking is I can transfer components onto a newer frame this time next year so worth going for light/decent stuff now IMO.

Full spec:

2008 Kona Shred 14”
    RockShox Reba RL
    On One Handle bars
    XT 10 Speed Shifter
    SLX 10 Speed Cassette
    XT 10 Speed Chain
    SLX 10 Speed Rear Mech
    Shimano MT15 wheels
    SLX brakes & XTR rotors
    Hope Headset
    Captain Sport tyres
    Thorn Crankset MK2
    Hope 32t chain ring
    Kore cubix stem 50mm
    Charge Spoon

nemesis
    Free Member

How tall are your kids on 26″ bikes? Nem Jnr is nearly 7 but very tall and already on 24″ wheels.

edhornby

Ah Nick, I emailed you today, my apologies about the wheels, I’ve been trying to get mine working and then pass the wheels on but still fuming at my own cackhandedness

good work on the build 🙂

nickmsm
    Free Member

My son is 10 in a month and he’s 146cm.

Ed – No problem at all! Was offered some new wheels and was in a hurry to get him out. Hope you get yours sorted soon.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks nick – so 10cm ish to go before the current 24″ bike will need upgrading 🙂

midlifecrashes

Missed this thread first time round, but thought I’d point people at these cranks in case it saves some money.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/budget-r-junior-chainset?bct=browse%2faccessories%2fgears-chainsets-chains-spares%2fchainsets-spares

Edit: see classifieds soon for two 24″ wheelers, though not as classy builds as those on here.

Jason
    Free Member

I posted these pics on another thread on here, but it seems relevant to this one too.

I just finished building this up for my 9 year old son. Height 142cm. Currently standover is a litte tight, but not too bad. Now he has ridden it a few times he isn’t keen to go back to his old bike.

A lot of the bits on it is stuff I had in the loft, so the overall cost wasn’t too bad. Drive train is 1×10 with Thorn cranks with a 28t ring and 11-36 cassette. His old bike is a 12″ 24″ wheel Kona with a 34t front ring. So he is finding this one a bit easier on the hills.

yunki
    Free Member

Built up this little Fire Mountain for my brother’s stepson who is a tallish 11yo.. the seat is set a bit higher than Alfie needs it in this shot

It was just built up with whatever came to hand plus a few bits and bobs that my bro had to get new cos we didn’t have them lying around

Basically 1×9 deore with cheapo ebay wheels and some old darts

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Some great builds in this thread – it’s a shame there aren’t more decent off the shop floor options. @nickmsm that’s a quality set up… I too have been working on the ‘swap it all onto a new frame’ concept, so I hope it works!

nickmsm
    Free Member

Just need to make sure new frame’s a 1 1/8th headtube and jobs a goodun 🙂 Pleased with the outcome, it’s quite good fun to ride too 😆

peabrain
    Free Member

My 8 year old was 145cm last time I measured him at least a few months ago.

His bike was finished on Saturday and ridden at LAggan on Sunday. It did the job perfectly, and I’m well chuffed – only the second bike I’ve ever built and the first was a littel kids bike so no gears or disc brakes to do. I will get a photo soon!

Legoman
    Free Member

Here’s mine – Mondraker Podium carbon. Bought frame/drive train/forks off classifieds, rest from my spares pile. Frame is 17″ and fitted him well at 11.

Fitted a nice short stem (well, actually I made him do that, and fit the wheels and tyres – basic stuff but they have to start somewhere!)

It’s built up into a nice light bike, but he struggles a bit with the front mech – probably needs a service but I’m tempted to go 1x
    [/URL]].

[/URL]]..

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Building a bike for a 9/10 yr old..’ is closed to new replies.