Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Building a 29er wheel using a Hope XC hub?
  • bullheart
    Free Member

I bought a wheel off of the classifieds recently, but was a little gutted to find that the rim had at some point been crushed in transit. There is very little I can do about it for a variety of reasons.

However….

Maybe ‘a phoenix from the ashes’ moment? I fancy building the Hope XC hub into a 29er wheel for my singlespeed. So the questions are;

1) what spokes should I use? Need to be light but cheap.
    2) what rim meets the same criteria?
    3) does anyone else use an XC as a hub for a 29er wheel? If so, how do you find it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

hub will be fine

rim depends on usage

Dt spokes

pedalhead
    Free Member

I had an old Hope XC (rear) built up onto an Arch 29er rim. Works a treat. Lots of long rides over the winter & it’s holding up well. Probably the most reliable hub I’ve ever had actually. DT comps on mine as they’re my default choice (and brass nips…alu are the work of the devil).

cynic-al
    Free Member

A (decent) hub is a (decent) hub is a (decent) hub – will work fine.

I got some cheap ACI spokes – in between DT rev and comp in weight and about 40p each IIRC, some low key online guys, search my threads maybe.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I built some old hope bulb hubs onto 29er Arch rims with DT db spokes for the commuter and it works a treat.

bullheart
    Free Member

Excellent – thanks for the responses.

Rim will be mainly XC stuff, but I’m a whopper (17.5st) so needs to be strong…

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve had Halo 29er rims for over 4 years now and they have been perfect.

clubber
    Free Member

Try these guys for spokes. I use the ” Alpina ACI S brand SSDB Spoke” and they’re no different to DTs in any real world way.

http://www.sdeals.com/oscommerce/index.php/cPath/35_54

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Building a 29er wheel using a Hope XC hub?’ is closed to new replies.