Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BuildersTrackWorld – converting integral garage, rough idea of cost?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

We’re thinking about converting our garage into an additional room but have no idea at all on what it might cost. It’s approx 16′ x 8′ , has power etc.

I guess the work would need to include full plasterboard/plastering , flooring, window and brick work (where garage door is) and creating a door through to our kitchen.

Has anyone any sort of idea as to what it might cost?

Ta

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Well we has a door fitted into our garage so I could chuck the washer in there and that was £500 including chopping out door space , lintel in and fitting regulation spec fire door and all trimming work like replastering etc
    Could be a few grand I reckon
    I’m dot and dabbing myself in the next 12 months and a new floor covering in but essentially it will still be a garage if needed

roach

£3k-£5k roughly unless you live in London and then way more.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

One thing I’m not sure about is whether having an additional room coming off the kitchen would actually add value to the house? It’s not an ideal layout really.

Also, where do my bikes go?!!

totalshell

done comercially it ll be 6k minimum..

georgecats_0
    Free Member

Did mine,had to raise the front and rear lintles,to make windows line up, and cut two doorways, think it was 2 or 3 grand, had to raise floor too,as garage floor was a foot lower than main house.I did the floor,and battened/plasterboard walls and ceiling,easy enough with minimum tools/skills

honeybadgerx

Building regs may well have the biggest impact on cost as the latest set require minimum insulation values (whether these apply to a converted existing room I’m not sure, but as you’re going from a ‘utility’ space to a habitable room I’d think so), which will require some decent insulation and a ‘proper’ construction to the room, i.e. possibly more than just fixing a bit of plasterboard to the wall etc. All of this will depend on how the garage is situated compared to your house as well.

First port of call would be local building control, they’re generally very nice helpful people, often happy to give advice and may be able to give you some pointers as to likely construction.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think we paid around £8k to convert a garage into a bedroom and bathroom.

nickjb
    Free Member

Helped a friend do a half conversion. We put a stud wall up half way along the garage. The front half still had the garage door and was a bike store, shed etc. Put a utility in the rear half. Made for two useful spaces. Didn’t cost much. Easy to convert back to a garage if required.

br
    Free Member

Helped a friend do a half conversion. We put a stud wall up half way along the garage. The front half still had the garage door and was a bike store, shed etc. Put a utility in the rear half. Made for two useful spaces. Didn’t cost much. Easy to convert back to a garage if required.

This way would also ‘hide’ the project from the Council; although if you want to sell up you’d then either have to put back or apply for retrospective permission. Or get a cash buyer that didn’t care.

nickjb
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘BuildersTrackWorld – converting integral garage, rough idea of cost?’ is closed to new replies.