Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • BUILDERS: whats the best way to remove this (concrete porch roof content)
  • qwerty
    Free Member

we want shot of the pole and concrete roof outside above the front door, it appears built into the blockwork, the blockwork above appears to have the roof woodwork resting on it (bungalow).

Cheers.

wwaswas

hire a petrol driven stone cutter or big angle grinder with a diamond disk and chop it off a couple of inches from the wall then ‘nibble’ bits off until it’s flush?

(don’t stand on top of it whilst doing this).

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

“In 1972 a crack commando artist was sent to prison by a military court for a crime he didn’t commit. This man promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Scottish mountains. Today, still wanted by the government, he survives as a wood cutter of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire the McMoonter.”

alfabus
    Free Member

Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

ton

pmsl @ cheeseyfeet………. 😆

mattrgee
    Free Member

1. Remove pole.
    2. Wait.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

LOL at Cheeseyfeet too.

alpin
    Free Member

build a sustaintial scaffold directly beneath the plinth that will save the door, brick work and ground from being damaged by the falling plinth. then attack, as above, attack it with petrol driven stone cutter or big angle grinder, but into smaller segments.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

is it acting as the lintel above the door? with caution perhaps

flip
    Free Member

Leave it alone. it’s an ‘original feature’ and as such adds value to your house.

And it’s retrotastic 😐

ourmaninthenorth

Leave it alone. it’s an ‘original feature’ and as such adds value to your house.

This. But without the value bit.

I’m sick of Victorian and Edwardian housing in this country being held up as the pinnacle of our domestic aspirations. There is some fantastic 60s building out there – all big windows and decent sized plots, but instead we have an obsession with stuff a century old!

loum
    Free Member

Paint the underside pale blue so that when you look up it blends in with the sky.

warton
    Free Member

is it acting as the lintel above the door? with caution perhaps

but if he cuts it flush with the brick work it will still act as a lintel.

fenboy

I’m with ourmaninthenorth. I’d be more inclined to get rid of the horrible upvc door

talltom
    Free Member

I’m with TJ

No guarentees that the porch conc is reinforced into the area above the door – if not then no good as a lintel.
    alternatively, support with acros underneath and cut off small sections using disc cutter – a 12″ saw will go through in one pass, cut off 6″ sections at a time until you are close enough to the wall to determine wether the reinforcement is in situ along the wall. If it is just face off the conc as described above and make good. otherwise using the Acros and strongboys to support the brickwork above the concrete – remove the remainder of the concrete and rplace with a suitable lintel.
    Then make good
    bishbashbosh 🙂

talltom
    Free Member

Then get rid of the plastic door 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

polish it up and open an outdoor gentlemans club?

40mpg

Sure you don’t want a porch? They’re actually quite handy when fumbling for keys in the rain.

May be much easier to keep it, but built a small mansard roof on it to dress it up a bit.

martinhutch

May be much easier to keep it, but built a small mansard roof on it to dress it up a bit.

This. Once you’ve carved it off the wall, there will still be a rather ugly scar. Perhaps you should consider adding a side wall and new door and turning it into a proper enclosed porch?

footflaps

Build a termite colony on top of it – they’ll eat it away for you..

portlyone

Must be lots of tinsel and christmas lights going spare now…

andywoods
    Free Member

quick word of warning cutting it off with grinder or stone saw will create plenty of sparks due to renforcement plastic windows/doors dont react well to showers of sparks

MrNutt
    Free Member

THERMITE!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

THERMITE!

Yep, that’d do it, get cracking with that immediately – and VIDEO IT!

Jamie
    Free Member

Cut a hole in it and fit a skylight.

pjm84
    Free Member

Depends if you want to do it properly or not.

qwerty
    Free Member

Depends if you want to do it properly or not.

Yes please, explain…..

Sure you don’t want a porch? They’re actually quite handy when fumbling for keys in the rain. May be much easier to keep it, but built a small mansard roof on it to dress it up a bit.

Plan is to then fit a veranda with a glass roof along that wall so it has to go.

matt_outandabout

What is the worst that could happen?

Shadow
    Free Member

If you don’t know how to do it then call a builder, because its not an easy job with out the right kit

qwerty
    Free Member

If you don’t know how to do it then call a builder

but then life would be dull and i’d be skint

because its not an easy job with out the right kit

i can hire the right kit

bruneep

A veranda

Oh get you 😉

pjm84
    Free Member

Do you really want to take it out?

You need to determine the construction and how it was constructed.

By this and from the photo I can see a steel perimeter section. Looks like a channel? Cast concrete in steel?

The support post. How is this fixed? No visible supports? No bolted plate to the underside?

So could the post and channel be a frame and the concrete an infill? Can you see any formwork marks on the underside? (it’s quite small so the formwork may have been one piece)

Does the channel go through the outer leaf of the building? Looks like it does.

What you need to do is determine how far the concrete goes in? My guess would be to the inner leaf, probably sits on it, and acts also as a lintel over the door. (Not too worried about cold bridging in those days).

You still want to remove it?

Remove locally external stonework around the canopy. Support your roof internally. Remove the blockwork internally over the concrete, break out the concrete, carefully over the door, reinstall new lintel over door , reconstruct the blockwork internally. Reconstruct the stonework externally, provide an external stone lintel over the door and window were the existing is (looks like) rebated. Make good including refixing door / mastic and internal finishes.

Hence the original question.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

light a bonfire on top of it

Shadow
    Free Member

What pjm said

Hiring all the right kit might cost you nearly as much as a builder would charge you ?
    like i said its not an easy job

qwerty
    Free Member

Ok, cheers (pjm84) all, some food for thought. It’s gotta go sometime, butt ugly and hindering our veranda plans.

Rockape
    Free Member

If you do it yourself or a pro does it as mentioned above cover all doors windows and glass. There will be steel reinforcing and the sparks will mark plastic and glass you’ll have the only plastic doers windows that rust. If you do it yourself as alpin said build support scaffold underneath and cut it up. Do you not know anyone in the trade that can advise by having a look for the price of a couple of pints?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Normally I’d say yeah just get on with it, but it’s carrying a fair bit of weight if it projects onto the inner leaf due to the two slopes of roof. First job for me would be pop up on top and slide a few tiles back to see it this is the case. Then back down rub chin drink tea and ponder!

showerman
    Free Member

disc cutter will not allow you to cut up to brickwork you are going to be left with about a 4″ overhang, to be honest if you think it looks bad now wait till you have removed it. have you looked to remove the pole and replace with possible a timber support paint concrete black so as to reduce the impact. but a cheap diy removal would be the last thing i would think of (no plastic door comment 😯 )

italspark
    Free Member

in the words of wee kev clerws………JOOST BASHIIT

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘BUILDERS: whats the best way to remove this (concrete porch roof content)’ is closed to new replies.