Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • builder wanted – North London
  • brakes
    Free Member

long shot, but can anyone recommend a builder in North London?
    Main work is replacing a 5m lintel in a single storey extension and replacement of windows/ patios doors.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m no expert but maybe a builder for the lintel & then a UPVC guy for the windows and doors might get you a better result.

brakes
    Free Member

anyone?
    or to open it up – how do I go about finding a builder if no-one can recommend one?

andylaightscat
    Free Member

where in N.London?

paddy0091
    Free Member

gimme £500 up front and I’ll do it, promise.

nedrapier

Howdy. I’ve emailed a mate who’s done a fair bit to his place. Not sure how much he did himself, who he used for the rest.

I’ll let you know.

Rochey
    Free Member

I may have an idea, however where are you based in North London??

brakes
    Free Member

cheers ned.
    Rochey, I’m in Crouch End.

Rochey
    Free Member

How close is that to Golders Green??

PM me, address in profile.

ciron
    Free Member

I’m local to you and have a mate who is a decent builder (he’s on the ladders so close too). Email me and I’ll speak to him. Email in profile.

brakes
    Free Member

thanks ciron, I’m emailed you.

makkag
    Free Member

http://www.allinonepropertyservices.co.uk/

my friend adam based in barnet – great guy will see you right and a biker as well.

give him a bell for a quote and chat

regards

dean

brakes
    Free Member

Contacted your mate too, thanks Dean.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Brakes, we used Building Company London for recent work to our place (just round the corner, as you know). They were a decent price and the work on the whole was very good. I don’t know if I’d give them a 100% cast iron recommendation as we had a few issues with the new windows they put in, but generally they were ok. How’s that for an endorsement?!

brakes
    Free Member

cheers flatboy, I’ll drop you a note offline.

nedrapier

brakes, I’ve got a name and number if you want to ping me for it. They’re going to be using him again, so seem to be happy.

brakes
    Free Member

cheers ned, emailed you.

thx1138
    Free Member

Rochey, I’m in Crouch End.

Brakes; we’re neighbours!

The builders of choice round here seem to be East Europeans, simply because they stereotypically do a better job for less money. I’ll try to get some contacts later today if I can. The team that did the house opposite us were phenomenal. They’ve made all the other houses look shoddy! 😆

senorj

I have a friend who does everything , well ,I might add,not cheap but competitive.Unfortunately the last person I recommended him to , stiffed him for £3k . 🙁
    Mail me if you want his number.
    I’m in N2 – he and his partner are local which speeds things up a great deal.

brakes
    Free Member

thanks Adrian, there must be something about mountain bikers wanting to live around the North London Hills, but not being able to afford the high points of Highgate and Hampstead…
    I’ve got about 5 names now, but another would be good if you want to pass it one. Thanks.

brakes
    Free Member

Unfortunately the last person I recommended him to, stiffed him for £3k

do you mean your mate got stiffed for £3k? or your mate stiffed someone for £3k? I’ll drop you an email.

senorj

My mate , the builder ,was stiffed by the customer.

nedrapier

there must be something about mountain bikers wanting to live around the North London Hills, but not being able to afford the high points of Highgate and Hampstead…

I’ll have you know I have a Highgate postcode!

(much closer to Crouch End, though!)

senorj

there must be something about mountain bikers wanting to live around the North London Hills

I refer to it as the London Alps. 😀

thx1138
    Free Member

I’ll have you know I have a Highgate postcode!

Can we come and stand outside your house and stare in wonderment, impoverished peasants that we are? 🙂

I refer to it as the London Alps.

Muswell Hill is a bit of a bugger! And Swains Lane is a real killer when you’re tired.

theflatboy
    Free Member

thx, ned and brakes, we’re all neighbours. let’s get a meet-up organised at some point!

thx1138
    Free Member

How about an assault on the summit of Ally Park? Or the wooden cottage cafe in Queens Wood (fantastic home-made chocolate cake!)? Used to be able to do a good loop via the Parkland Walk, then Highgate Woods, Queens wood then the Parkland Walk again, Finsbury Park, Harringey Ladder and Ally Park, but they’ve put stupid non-cycling gates in Highgate wood, so you’re forced onto Muswell Hill road. Which is busy and dangerous.

theflatboy
    Free Member

sounds good to me, road or offroad are fine with me. 🙂

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I cant help but snigger at this post…are you all true North Londoners?

I am so there 😉 Born n12 lived in n8 now live in n14…

Trent Park is my local park…

brakes
    Free Member

local ride sounds like a good idea – not ridden anywhere in London’s Parks apart from a quick blast along Parkland Walk at dusk, didn’t think it was worth it to be honest but would be happy to be proven wrong.
    Saturday/ Sunday morning early doors are best for me.

unfitgeezer, I’m from the North East, but have been in London 10 years; my son is from North London 😉

nedrapier

And I’m Straight out of Surrey, via Essex a couple of times. Only been in North London a few years.

Parks bimble sounds good! Off the bike at the moment due to niggly shoulder, though.

simon_g

Another Crouch Ender here, although arguably more on the Stroud Green side of the hill.

A mate had a load of work done to his place near Turnpike Lane last year, I’ve asked him for details of who he used.

qwerty
    Free Member

Once you enter Trent Park at Oakwood you can work your way northwards on some great sections of trail, its pretty easy to make your way to Hertford and beyond.
    I’m born of EN2 and spent 40 years there, now in GL5 but will be riding from Whitewebbs early this Sunday for a few hours.

thx1138
    Free Member

Another Crouch Ender here, although arguably more on the Stroud Green side of the hill.

Ah. A pretender. Be off with you, oik! 😀

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Trent Park has some interesting little rides not tried heading further North…

And to all you Crouch Enders (been there done that) N14 is way better cos its a few mins to the Green Belt 😛

Sorry I can’t add builder stuff the guys we used last year for major work were on the higher side but saying that they got the job done in the time they said they would and there was no language barrier..

http://www.completebuildingherts.com/

they do lots of work around North London

theflatboy
    Free Member

agreed about meeting up, and agreed about weekend early mornings being better!

senorj

I could be up for a weekend a.m. trot too.
    N2 is east finchley .very near to you all,but fresher air .ha.
    I often play out in and around Trent park,with a bit of
    Monken Hadley thrown in.
    That nice qwerty fella showed me the bits north of enfield(herts way etc)
    which you can use to link to broxbourne&beyond.
    I often link the lea valley canal to go home via epping.
    (tbh not for a few months due to the slop!!)
    I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a north London alps pootle!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘builder wanted – North London’ is closed to new replies.